The Area Sales Manager plays a significant role as a leader focused on customer satisfaction and attaining the long- and short-term sales and customer-count goals for their directly assigned territory. This Area Sales Manager will also manage one to three other territories, and will work to expand our focus on the West Coast corridor. This position is full-time, exempt, located in Northern California. The ideal candidate will be a highly motivated sales professional with self-starter capabilities and proven success in the seed industry.
- Recommend and sell Johnny's Selected Seeds products to current and potential clients by supporting and servicing existing accounts, establishing new accounts, and ensuring orders are obtained and processed.
- Develop and execute strategies to achieve an increase in active customers and meet quarterly/annual sales and customer service satisfaction goals.
- Help resolve any customer service issues within the territory, including following up on collections of accounts as needed.
- Build partnerships and continuously improve relations with customers, frequently visiting and offering technical support.
- Monitor competition to enhance sales effort focus by gathering current marketplace information on pricing, products, delivery schedules, shipping fees, merchandising, sales volume, etc.
- Communicate new product and service opportunities and gather feedback through field activity with customers, and share with appropriate company staff.
- Keep management and territory team informed by submitting activity reports, such as daily call reports, weekly work plans, and monthly/annual territory analysis.
- Support JSS offsite territory product trials in conjunction with Product Managers.
- Provide overall leadership and direction to assigned Territory Sales Representatives.
- Provide coaching and performance feedback, and conduct performance assessments.
- Develop and drive the territory sales forecast, and coordinate the overall territory plan with the Support and Marketing team members, to meet yearly plan and multiyear strategy.
- Maintain responsibility for developing monthly and annual area/territory sales forecast by variety for key account.
- Maintain professional knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, participating in professional societies, etc.
- Coordinate with internal Marketing team members, leverage all marketing initiatives, and participate in regional trade shows.
Education & Experience
- BS/BA in science or horticulture preferred, with experience in advising, training, or counseling commercial vegetable growers in customer-focused environment preferred.
- Preference will be given to sales professionals with 5+ years of relevant sales experience in the seed/agriculture industry.
Qualifications & Skills
- Knowledge in both field growing and greenhouse or hydroponic growing is a plus.
- Expert in sales skills: skilled negotiator, problem-solver, and closer, with the ability to anticipate needs and develop long-term business relationships.
- Deep knowledge of vegetable seed market required.
- Demonstrated ability to grow and manage sales professionals.
- Proficiency with PCs and Microsoft Office products.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Ability to present detailed information about Johnny's products and have knowledge of alternative products in the market.
- Proven ability to learn and share difficult technical information.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to travel to all areas of the assigned territory.
- Track record of meeting or exceeding sales goals.
- Preference will be given to professionals with supervisor or personnel management experience.
- Ability to visit farms/customers, with driver's license required.
- Ability to work varied hours/days as business dictates.
- Ability to sit at a computer for at least 60% of the work day.
- Ability to work around bees and other insects.
- Health Insurance (HNO, PPO, HSA)
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (Medical & Dependent Care)
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan & Profit Sharing
- Employee Discount
- Maternity/Paternity/Adoption & Foster Care Leave
- Company Paid Life Insurance
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Voluntary Pet Insurance
- Company Paid Short- & Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Educational Assistance