The Breeding Research Assistant / Squash & Pumpkin position assists the breeding technician and breeder in coordinating and executing the yearly crop cycle management operations and data collection for our 6–8-acre squash and pumpkin breeding nursery. This is a full-time position in the Breeding Department, based at the Albion research farm.
- Support all aspects of the breeding program logistics and activities, including seeding, transplanting, field maintenance, pollinations, harvest, seed extraction, post-harvest fruit quality evaluations, etc.
- Assist in data collection and entry.
- Assist with seed storage, record-keeping, and organization.
- Supervise seasonal employees.
- Participate in departmental and crop-specific team meetings.
- Continue training/educational efforts to obtain new skills as required to stay current with the program.
- Assist in other projects and perform other duties when needed.
- High school diploma or GED required.
- BA/BS in biology or agriculture-related field of study, with 1+ year of relevant agriculture or research experience preferred.
Qualifications & Skills
- Experience and knowledge of general agricultural practices and techniques.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- High attention to detail and accuracy, in both hands-on tasks and record keeping.
- A work style comfortable with hands-on activities in the field and in the greenhouse.
- Ability to work effectively on one's own or as part of a team.
- Ability to supervise a team of seasonal pollination crew workers.
- Ability to work extended hours during peak times in the season.
- Availability to regularly work a weekend day during pollination season.
- Ability to bring a positive attitude to the job and enjoy working with a diverse group of people.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Valid Maine driver's license.
- Enthusiastic interest in squash and pumpkins.
Essential Physical Requirements
- Capable of physically working outdoors, often in less-than-ideal weather conditions.
- Ability to bend, pull, and lift up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to work about bees and other insects.
- Excellent manual dexterity.
- Health Insurance (HNO, PPO, HSA)
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (Medical & Dependent Care)
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan & Profit Sharing
- Employee Discount
- Maternity/Paternity/Adoption & Foster Care Leave
- Company Paid Life Insurance
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Voluntary Pet Insurance
- Company Paid Short- & Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Educational Assistance