The National Sales Manager plays a significant role, as a leader focused on customer satisfaction and attaining the long- and short-term sales and customer count goals for Johnny's. The National Sales Manager directly manages a set of Territory Sales Representatives. This position is full-time, exempt, located in Fairfield, Maine. The ideal candidate is one who is a highly motivated sales management professional with proven success in the seed industry or an agriculture-related field.
- Develop and execute an annual sales strategy that results in company business growth; adapt tactics and strategy to ensure goals are met.
- Develop annual goals for improved KPI/metric results. Deliver ongoing reporting and analyses that tie direct activities to sales, new customer growth, and increased customer retention and satisfaction.
- Prepare an annual budget; determine spending priorities to maximize new customer capture and retention of existing customers; manage monthly expenses, analyzing variances and initiating corrective actions as needed.
- Directly supervise a staff of 10–12 direct employees, and through strong recruiting, training, and coaching improve the productivity and effectiveness of the sales team and their sales efforts.
- Develop and manage industry relationships to effectively promote Johnny's Selected Seeds as the primary seed source to our market.
- Work with the trialing team to evaluate products and provide customer feedback that results in best variety selection suggestions to research.
- Provide collaborative input to internal marketing team members and leverage all marketing initiatives.
- Manage the overall trade show schedule that result in improved regional territory sales.
- Make important contributions to assigned company project teams, such as pricing annually and others.
- Generate operational improvements that can be used company-wide.
- Develop monthly and annual area/territory sales forecasts by variety for key accounts.
- Build training plans to help develop jobs skills for self and sales team.
- Resolve difficult customer situations when issues arise, including following up on collections of accounts as needed.
- Monitor competition to enhance sales effort focus, by gathering current marketplace information on pricing, products, delivery schedules, shipping fees, merchandising, and sales volume.
- Provide overall leadership and direction to sales team; provide coaching and performance feedback; and conduct performance assessments.
- Maintain professional knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, and participating in professional societies.
Education & Experience
- BS/BA in science or horticulture preferred, with experience in advising, training, or counseling commercial vegetable growers in customer-focused environment preferred.
- Preference will be given to sales professionals with 5+ years of relevant sales experience in the seed/agriculture industry.
Qualifications & Skills
- Knowledge in both field growing and greenhouse or hydroponic growing is a plus.
- Sales skills expertise: skilled negotiator, problem-solver, and closer, with the ability to anticipate needs and develop long-term business relationships.
- Deep knowledge of vegetable seed market required.
- Demonstrated ability to grow and manage sales professionals.
- Proficiency with PCs and Microsoft Office products.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Ability to present detailed information about Johnny's products and have knowledge of alternative products in the market.
- Proven ability to learn and share difficult technical information.
- Excellent organizational, supervisory, and time management skills.
- Ability to travel to all areas of the assigned territory.
- Track record of meeting or exceeding sales goals.
- Preference will be given to professionals with supervisor or personnel management experience.
- Ability to visit farms/customers, with driver's license required.
- Ability to work varied hours/days as business dictates.
- Ability to sit at a computer for at least 60% of the work day.
- Ability to work around bees and other insects.
- Health Insurance (HMO, PPO, HSA)
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (Medical & Dependent Care)
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan & Profit Sharing
- Employee Discount
- Maternity/Paternity/Adoption & Foster Care Leave
- Company Paid Life Insurance
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Voluntary Pet Insurance
- Company Paid Short- & Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Educational Assistance