The Operations Associate–Farm Crew member supports the Research Team in the growing and maintenance of variety trials, breeding workshops, and seed production crops at the Albion Research Facility and surrounding contracted fields. This is a full-time position, reporting to the Farm Crew Supervisor.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Planting and transplanting, in the greenhouses and in the field.
- Irrigation setup, removal, and operation.
- Weed, insect, and disease control.
- Equipment operation and maintenance.
- Building and grounds maintenance.
- Crop maintenance, which includes trellising, thinning, pruning, plastic and row cover installation and removal.
- Harvesting of trial plantings, breeding projects, and seed production crops.
- All other duties as assigned.
Personal Qualifications / Competencies
- Well organized and capable of detailed record-keeping.
- Strong work ethic, dependability, eagerness to work and learn organic crop production.
- Safety conscious at all times.
- Valid Maine driver's license.
- Agricultural background preferred, but will train the right applicant.
- Ability to work well unsupervised and as part of a team.
- Promptness and readiness to work.
- Ability to work weekend hours.
- Ability to travel overnight occasionally; for example, to visit current and potential clients and attend tradeshows.
- Eagerness to work overtime as needed, often on very short notice.
Essential Physical Requirements
- Ability to work in frequently less-than-ideal weather conditions.
- Ability to work on and navigate uneven, rocky ground.
- Ability to read, communicate, and accurately complete all assigned tasks.
- Ability to bend, pull and lift up to 50 pounds.
Johnny's offers a great benefit package: Health Insurance (HMO, PPO & HSA), Dental Insurance, Life Insurance, Short- and Long-Term Disability, Medical and Dependent Care Reimbursement, Tuition Reimbursement, and 401K — and we are proud to be an employee-owned company!