The Purchasing Assistant is an administrative position responsible for procurement of product for various JSS seed product lines. This position will process drop-ship purchase orders, provide customer service on order fulfillment, and support the efforts of the entire purchasing organization. This hourly position is full-time, located in Winslow, Maine, and will report to the Purchasing Supervisor.
- Places purchase orders with Johnny's smaller vendor accounts.
- Contacts vendors for order quotations and analyzes bids received.
- Responsible for negotiation for best pricing and terms with suppliers.
- Maintains vendor records with accurate product offerings, pricing, availability, contact information, terms, conditions of sale, and shipping methods.
- Follows up with suppliers on matters concerning cost, quality, delivery, and availability.
- Documents supplier performance standards.
- Procures special order items on a spot basis — negotiating best prices and expedient delivery.
- Procures MRO products, as assigned, in support of order fulfillment and overall operations.
- Processes drop-ship orders and follows up with vendors on order fulfillment in a timely manner.
- Support the purchasing efforts of the Key Account Buyers and Buyers as determined by Purchasing Supervisor.
- Performs other clerical duties as assigned by the Purchasing Supervisor.
- Provides administrative assistance as assigned by the Purchasing Supervisor and/or the Manager of Inventory Supply and Forecasting.
- Bachelor's degree preferred. High school diploma required.
Qualifications & Skills
- 1–2 years' purchasing experience preferred.
- CPP certification desirable.
- Computer literacy with Microsoft applications required.
- Experience with ERP and MRP systems preferred.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills required.
- Ability to effectively multitask in a fast-paced, demanding environment is essential.
- Highly motivated team player in support of overall company goals and high customer satisfaction.
- Valid Maine driver's license.
- Agricultural or horticultural experience a plus.
- Ability to sit for 8 hours per day at 3-hour increments in a static position in front of a computer.
- Ability to occasionally lift and/or carry up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to access all areas of the building.
- Ability to occasionally bend, crouch, climb stairs, and reach.
- Ability to read, write, and verbally communicate.
- Health Insurance (HNO, PPO, HSA)
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (Medical & Dependent Care)
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan & Profit Sharing
- Employee Discount
- Maternity/Paternity/Adoption & Foster Care Leave
- Company Paid Life Insurance
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Voluntary Pet Insurance
- Company Paid Short- & Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Educational Assistance
Johnny's Selected Seeds provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.