Our Pollination Crew members work with the Squash & Pumpkin Breeding Team to accomplish peak field season tasks for our 6–8-acre winter squash, summer squash, and pumpkin breeding nursery. These tasks include hand pollinating, weeding, mulching, and performing other crop care as needed.
This is a temporary, full-time position, based at the Albion research farm, within the Breeding Department. The position starts June 25th and ends August 15th. The regular workday begins at 7:00 am and can last up to 8 or more hours, depending on weather and given workload. The Pollination Crew works over the weekend, but there is some potential for a flexible work schedule.
- Hand pollination of pumpkin and squash, i.e., transferring pollen by hand from male to female flowers. This is a highly detailed task that requires focus and dexterity.
- Vine training
- Weeding and straw-mulching
- Other work assigned by Plant Breeding Technician
Education / Experience
- High school education
- Agricultural experience is preferred but not required; training will be provided.
Qualifications & Skills
- Punctual and dependable
- Detail oriented
- Ability to pair speed with accuracy
- Works well with others and alone
- Legible handwriting is a must
- Flexibility in schedule
- Ability to bend, pull, and lift up to 50 pounds
- Ability to walk and bend repeatedly
- Capable of physically working outdoors, often in less-than-ideal weather conditions
- Ability to work with honey bees and straw mulch
- Excellent manual dexterity
- Employee discount