Johnny's Squash Breeding Team, located at Johnny's Research Farm in Albion, Maine, currently has positions open for the 2017 Pollination Crew. The Pollination Crew assists the squash breeding program by performing hand pollinations, a manual transfer of pollen for plant fertilization. Crew members also assist with weeding, mulching, and other crop care as needed.
These positions are full-time temporary, June 26 through August 15. Workweeks typically average 40 hours and include weekends. The day begins at 7:00 am and can last up to 8 or more hours, depending on weather and given workload. Overtime may be also be required when needed.
Please apply by May 31, 2017.
- Hand pollination of pumpkin and squash, i.e., transferring pollen by hand from male to female flowers
- Vine training
- Weeding and straw-mulching
- Other work assigned by Plant Breeding Technician
Personal Qualifications / Competencies
- Punctual and dependable
- Detail oriented
- Ability to pair speed with accuracy
- Work well with others and alone
- Willing to work in variable weather conditions from light rain to hot sun
- Ability to work around honey bees
- Agricultural experience is preferred but not required; training will be provided
- Legible handwriting
- Flexibility in schedule
Essential Physical Requirements
- Ability to work in frequently less-than-ideal weather conditions
- Ability to work on and navigate uneven, rocky ground
- Physical fitness is important; this job requires much walking and bending.