The Territory Sales Representative is a member of our territory commercial sales team. This position plays a significant role as a leader focused on customer satisfaction and attaining the long- and short-term sales and customer count goals for their directly assigned territory. This position is full-time, exempt, located in the Southeast. The ideal candidate is a highly motivated sales professional with self-starter capabilities and proven success in the seed industry.
- Present and sell Johnny's Selected Seeds products to current and potential clients by supporting and servicing existing accounts, establishing new accounts, and ensuring orders are obtained and processed.
- Organize a daily work schedule to call on and visit existing and/or potential customers.
- Support company offsite territory product trials with Product Managers. Visit seed production location on occasion.
- Develop and execute strategies to achieve customer service goals and quarterly/annual sales goals.
- Develop and drive territory sales forecast, coordinating overall territory plan with the Support and Marketing team members that meet the yearly plan and multiyear strategy.
- Communicate new product and service opportunities, special developments, information, or feedback gathered through field activity with customers and share with appropriate company staff.
- Assist with suggestive product development and pricing.
- Keep management and territory team informed by submitting activity and results reports, such as daily call reports, weekly work plans, and monthly/annual territory analysis.
- Enhance sales staff accomplishments and competence by planning delivery of solutions, answering technical and procedural questions for less experienced team members, teaching improved processes, and mentoring team members.
- Provide input and direction to the team on marketing events and support required to meet the overall team goals.
- Craft sales presentations specific to customer type and needs, in conjunction with other territory team members.
- Monitor competition to enhance sales efforts focus by gathering current marketplace information on pricing, products, delivery schedules, shipping fees, merchandising, sales volume in the territory, etc.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, participating in professional societies, etc.
- Make judgment decisions and adapt to changing work situations, grasp and apply new ideas, and communicate with various personalities at all levels.
- Contribute to performance reviews of all territory team members.
- Occasional overnight travel, such as visits to current and potential clients and trade shows, is required.
- BS/BA in science or horticulture preferred, with experience in advising, training, or counseling commercial vegetable growers in customer-focused environment preferred.
- Preference will be given to sales professionals with 3–5 years of relevant sales experience in the seed/agriculture industry.
Qualifications & Skills
- Knowledge in both field growing and greenhouse or hydroponic growing is a plus.
- Expert sales skills: skilled negotiator, problem solver, and closer, with the ability to anticipate needs and develop long-term business relationships.
- Deep knowledge of vegetable, herb, or flower growing/farming experience is preferred.
- Proficiency with PCs and Microsoft Office products.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Strong business acumen.
- Exceptional "Outside" sales and marketing, customer-focused experience, with an impressive track record within a B2B setting.
- Ability to present detailed information about Johnny's products and have knowledge of alternative products in the market.
- Ability to be a team player, working towards a common goal by giving more than taking.
- Proven ability to learn and share difficult technical information.
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills.
- Positive, can-do attitude; loyalty; self-motivation.
- Determination; prepared to focus on goals until they are achieved as a mentally tireless worker.
- Track record of meeting or exceeding sales goals.
- Ability to travel to all areas of the assigned territory.
- Drivers license required, with the ability to visit farms/customers.
- Ability to work varied hours/days as business dictates.
- Ability to sit at a computer for at least 60% of the workday.
- Ability to work around bees and other insects.
- Health Insurance (HMO, PPO, HSA)
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (Medical & Dependent Care)
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan & Profit Sharing
- Employee Discount
- Maternity/Paternity/Adoption & Foster Care Leave
- Company Paid Life Insurance
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Voluntary Pet Insurance
- Company Paid Short- & Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Educational Assistance