Johnny's Customer Support - Sales Tax and Tax Exemption FAQs

FAQs • Sales Tax & Tax Exemption

Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Sales Tax & Tax Exemption on Orders from Johnny's

Johnny's Selected Seeds is required to charge sales tax on orders shipping to a number of states where Johnny's is required by law to collect state tax, unless the customer is a tax-exempt organization or a reseller with a current exemption certificate on file with Johnny's.

Please refer to these FAQs for information regarding sales tax charges and exemptions on Johnny's orders, and Contact Us should you require further assistance.

Why are you now collecting sales tax?

Until recently, Johnny's has only collected sales tax in Maine, where we are located. However, a recent Supreme Court ruling (South Dakota v. Wayfair, Inc.,, Inc., and Newegg, Inc.) changed the state sales tax obligations for all companies that sell remotely through websites and catalogs. As a result of the new laws, Johnny's will soon begin collecting and remitting sales tax in all states that require tax remittance.

Do you tax all products? How is tax calculated?

Johnny's will charge sales tax on orders for taxable items in accordance with applicable state and local tax laws. The amount of sales tax charged depends on several factors, including the item purchased, the destination of the order, and the location from which your order is shipped. Please be advised that the estimated sales tax may differ from the final amount charged for your order.

What is a sales tax exemption certificate?

A sales tax exemption certificate is a document that enables a purchaser to make tax-free purchases that would normally be subject to sales tax. The purchaser fills out the certificate and gives it to the seller. The seller keeps the certificate on file so the purchaser can make purchases without being charged sales tax.

What qualifies one for an exemption certificate?

Each state charging sales tax maintains an agency responsible for administrating its sales tax system. The agency or tax authority issues exemptions to qualified businesses. For more information about exemption requirements please reference your State Department of Revenue service.

What is a resale certificate/seller's permit?

A resale certificate is a form utilized by businesses that purchase goods that they intend to resell. This form is also referred to as an exemption certificate in some states. It is a written statement that the business will not be using the goods for personal use before reselling them. It is also used when purchasing goods for this purpose. Using this permit, you will not be subjected to sales tax. You will be asked for this certificate as proof when you purchase products from Johnny's.

Where can I obtain an exemption certificate?

For more information about exemption requirements, please reference your State Department of Revenue service online website.

How do I send in my exemption certificate?

Many of our customers quality for tax exemption. If your purchases qualify for exemption, we're here to help you. If you have tax exempt status and have a current certificate or reseller permit, provide us with a copy for our records.

Fax:    1-800-738-6314

Mail:  PO Box 299
            Waterville ME 04901
            ATTN:  Accounting Exemption Certificates


How will my exemption certificate be applied to my on-line order?

If you place an order on-line, you must be logged in to your registered on-line account for your order to be non-taxed. Guest check out is not applicable to tax exemptions.


The above information should not be considered sales tax advice; please contact your State Department of Revenue service for further guidance.


Call Us Toll-free at


Mon–Fri, 8am–8pm ET
Sat–Sun, 8am–5pm ET


Mon–Fri, 8am–7pm ET
Sat, 8am–5pm ET


Mon–Sat, 8am–5pm ET

Retail Store Hours & Info