Each year Johnny's donates thousands of dollars to educational, agricultural, and horticultural programs and events, as well as local community efforts. Johnny's receives a great many requests throughout the year. Our charitable giving committee meets three (3) times a year to review requests for consideration. If you are thinking of asking Johnny's to support your program or event, please review the information presented below.
Requesting support? Download an application in PDF format.
If you have any questions or a highly time-sensitive request that you would like us to consider, please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Some Organizations We SupportLocal Giving
- Winslow 4th of July Celebration
- Professional Fire Fighters of Maine
- Waterville Humane Society
- Alfond Youth Center
- Messalonskee Trails Association
- Unity Barn Raisers
- Maine FFA Association
- Special Olympics of Maine
- Maine Farmland Trust
- Maine Agriculture in the Classroom
- Coastal Maine Botanical Garden
- Bangor Beautiful
- Food Works (Vermont Two Rivers Center)
- Organic Farming Research Foundation
- Native Seed Search
- University of California at Santa Cruz
- Cornell Cooperative Extension
- Greater Newark Conservancy
- The Food Project
- Michigan State
- Penn State
- Good Neighbor Gardens
- Feed the Children
- and many more...
Applying for HelpQualification Criteria
To qualify for consideration, the requesting organization or program must:
- Be a business or organization located within the State of Maine;
- Be an organization that actively participates in sustainable agriculture by:
- Educating people and teaching growing or farming practices and techniques (eg, schools, agricultural conferences, workshops).
- Providing locally-grown produce to communities through a CSA or working with communities to grow produce to feed themselves.
- Supporting organic and sustainable growing practices and techniques.
- Preserving and protecting land for agricultural use.
- Creating agricultural space within urban environments.
- Other appropriate agricultural or horticultural programs or efforts, at the discretion of the Charitable Giving Committee.
The Charitable Giving Committee meets three (3) times a year to review requests for support. These meetings occur during the first weeks of December, February, and April. Requests are filed in the order in which they are received and are organized into "cash" and "in-kind" categories. Within two (2) weeks of these meetings, the submitting parties will be notified by email as to whether or not their request was approved. The email will contain other applicable details as well.
Johnny's encourages all organizations to respect these time frames, plan accordingly, and submit requests for consideration prior to one of the three review sessions that fits with their schedule. Johnny's does understand that some requests may be more time-sensitive than others, and due consideration will be given as time permits. Except in rare circumstances, requests for support that are submitted after April 1st will not be considered until the following December.
Johnny's chooses to support its local community and the devoted efforts of people, organizations, and businesses in promoting and maintaining sound, sustainable agricultural methods and activities because it is "the right thing to do." As Johnny's feels it is important to recognize these efforts, so, too, does Johnny's appreciate being recognized for providing support.
How to Submit a Request for Support
All requests for support must contain the following pieces of information:
- A completed application that contains details by which awards for support will be considered. The application is available in PDF format.
- Documentation (eg, project/program plan, brochure, educational material, web site, etc) that describes the organization, project, or program; what the purpose or goal is; the audience that is expected to benefit from the support; and specific examples of how Johnny's might receive recognition for the support.