Johnny's Planting Programs are designed to take the guesswork out of succession planting, allowing you to extend your harvest across the growing season.
- Planting different varieties depending upon the season.
- Planting varieties with different days-to-maturity for extended harvesting.
- Using season extension tools such as row covers, or methods such as growing indoors, to produce earlier crops in the spring and later crops in the fall/winter.
- Certain varieties are better suited for warmer months, while others for cooler weather. Varieties grown during an inappropriate time slot may fall short of their potential, resulting in a poor-quality or even unmarketable product. Production periods are key.
- Growth rates vary by season. In the warm, long days of late spring/early sumer, slower-growing, heat-tolerant varietes can be planted. In the cooler, short days of fall, faster-growing, cold-tolerant varieties can be planted.