The accountant is responsible for general ledger processes, inventory reconciliation, and costing verifications within our systems. This role also handles sales tax-related compliance and reconciliations. In addition, this role provides support during the monthly close process, year-end tasks, and annual audits. The accountant also provides ad hoc financial analysis to support better financial performance metrics.
This is a full-time position, working closely with all members of the Finance department.
- Monthly inventory reconciliation of perpetual system to the general ledger.
- Prepare cost of goods sold analysis by a variety of segments such as product line; research variances in performance metrics.
- Review costs of inventory items and verify accuracy in the subledger.
- Ensure timely and accurate sales tax returns and remittances by the 3rd-party vendor, which includes but is not limited to:
- Accuracy in our sales tax software set-up for new customers.
- Review state regulatory changes and modify system for compliance.
- Multistate sales/use tax returns review and approval.
- Monthly data analytics and general ledger tax account reconciliations.
- State and local tax projects, daily tax research, and multistate audit requests.
- Prepare, review, and reconcile data downloads to the general ledger.
- Administration and processing of travel expense reimbursement processes through 3rd-party application.
- Maintain fixed asset ledger and depreciation reconciliations.
- Preparation of monthly department reports.
- Prepare annual personal property tax filings.
- Participation in annual budget preparation tasks.
- Prepare calculation of royalty obligations in accordance with various agreements.
- Monthly general ledger account reconciliations for various assigned accounts.
- Assist with general accounting functions.
- Perform various financial analyses.
- Other duties as business dictates.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college/university or equivalent work experience.
Qualifications & Skills
- One to two years of experience in distribution or manufacturing environment preferred, but not required
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite applications, including Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Analytical, reporting, and data querying skills a plus
- Detail-oriented approach to work, with respect for confidentiality
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Motivated and self-starter
- Adaptable — supports and implements change as necessary
- Must be able to move, manipulate, and operate computer equipment
- Capable of sitting for prolonged periods of time
- Ability to bend, pull, and lift (up to 35 lb. occasionally)
- Health Insurance (HNO, PPO, HSA)
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (Medical & Dependent Care)
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan & Profit Sharing
- Employee Discount
- Maternity/Paternity/Adoption & Foster Care Leave
- Company Paid Life Insurance
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Voluntary Pet Insurance
- Company Paid Short- & Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Educational Assistance
Johnny's Selected Seeds provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.