The Breeding Technician I • Squash and Pumpkin position assists the squash and pumpkin breeder in coordinating and executing the yearly breeding cycle, including management of field and greenhouse operations, coordination of logistics with other departments, data collection, and leading seasonal workers. The ideal candidate will be research-oriented, with a strong interest in agriculture and crop improvement.
This is a full-time, year-round position in the Breeding Department, based at the Albion research farm, reporting to the Squash and Pumpkin Breeder.
- Support all aspects of breeding program logistics and activities, including seeding, transplanting, field maintenance, pollinations, harvest, seed extraction and cleaning, quality evaluations, etc.
- Assist in data collection and entry.
- Manage seed storage, record-keeping, and organization.
- Supervise and train seasonal employees.
- Acquire and maintain department supplies.
- Support efforts in molecular marker testing.
- Participate in department and crop-specific team meetings.
- Continue training/educational efforts to obtain new skills as required to stay current with the program.
- Assist in other projects and perform other duties when needed.
- High school diploma or GED required.
- One or more years of relevant agriculture or research experience is preferred.
Qualifications & Skills
- High attention to detail and accuracy, in both hands-on tasks and recordkeeping.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Experience with Microsoft Word and Excel.
- A work style comfortable with repetitive hands-on activities in the field and in the greenhouse.
- Able to work effectively on own or as part of a team.
- Crew management experience is desirable.
- Availability to work extended hours and varied days during peak times in the season.
- Ability to bring a positive attitude to the job and enjoy working with a diverse group of people.
- Enthusiastic interest in squash and pumpkins.
- Valid Maine driver's license.
Essential Physical Requirements
- Excellent manual dexterity.
- Capable of physically working outdoors, including in less-than-ideal weather conditions.
- Agility to work and navigate on uneven, rocky ground.
- Capable of frequent bending and occasional heavy lifting (up to 50 lb.).
- Able to work around bees and other insects.
- Health Insurance (HNO, PPO, HSA)
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (Medical & Dependent Care)
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan & Profit Sharing
- Employee Discount
- Maternity/Paternity/Adoption & Foster Care Leave
- Company Paid Life Insurance
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Voluntary Pet Insurance
- Company Paid Short- & Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Educational Assistance
Johnny's Selected Seeds provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.