Director of Finance
The Director of Finance is responsible for planning and directing all aspects of the Finance Department. Specific responsibilities include partnering with the leadership team, Finance personnel management, budgets, financial systems, and strategic planning.
- Direct all aspects of Johnny's accounting operations; oversee all transactions related to general ledger, receivables, payables, payroll, and financial reporting.
- Serve as a major contributor to the senior management team's overall leadership of the business/company.
- Analyze company financial results with respect to profits, trends, costs, and compliance with budgets. Issue regular status and ad hoc reports to senior management and Johnny's board/F&A.
- Deliver strategic leadership for defining path to growth and profitability of the company and the establishment of an effective growth process and infrastructure. Develop collaborative working relationships within the organization and with vendors/cooperators in pursuit of the of the company's overall business/financial goals.
- Prepare an annual budget; help to determine spending priorities to maximize business growth and operations, new customer capture and existing customer retention; help to manage monthly expenses, analyze variances, and initiate corrective actions as needed.
- Work collaboratively across the organization to direct the resolution of complex cross-functional business process issues to avoid risks by identifying problems that critically impact our business outcomes. Determine and set priorities, direct/help assign working teams to fix issues and set SOPs (e.g., Shipping, AR, CC processing).
- Provide strategic guidance around capital financing options to support company growth needs and ESOP planning; oversee ESOP-TPA relationship.
- Develop and coordinate all relationships with lending/financial institutions, insurance providers, and other vendors, ensuring compliance.
- Develop and maintain all necessary accounting policies and systems, including general ledger and financial reporting. Ensure that records are maintained in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles. Oversee contract bookkeeper.
- Assist senior management in financial planning and results management. Work with other team members to understand revenue and cost drivers and define appropriate reports for tracking. Develop Business Unit P&L reports as needed.
- Coordinate, prepare, and review monthly, quarterly, and annual reports.
- Manage all tax planning and compliance with all required federal, state, local, payroll, property, and other applicable taxes.
- Manage cash flow.
- Define Finance side project requirements by identifying project milestones, phases, and elements; form project team; and establish project budget.
- Directly supervise a staff of employees, and through strong recruiting, training, and coaching improve the productivity and effectiveness of the team.
- Provide reports to users at various levels, including KPIs, business reviews, daily sales, profitability, performance, budget, expenses, compensation, finance forecasting, wages with planning win/loss, headcount, and ad hoc reports on requests.
- Coordinate and oversee all financial annual audits, valuation work, and ESOP trustee requirements.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting/Finance or related field.
- MBA or CPA preferred, with 7 years of relevant experience.
Qualifications & Skills
- In-depth understanding of financial metrics.
- Demonstrated experience with financial systems.
- Ability to maintain proper GAAP practices and procedures.
- Background in corporate finance in a high-growth environment.
- Experience with ESOP is preferred.
- Analytical and creative problem solver.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to build consensus and function as part of a team.
- High attention to detail.
- Prolonged periods sitting/standing at a desk and working on a computer.
- Ability to lift up to 15 pounds.
- Health Insurance (HNO, PPO, HSA)
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (Medical & Dependent Care)
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan & Profit Sharing
- Employee Discount
- Maternity/Paternity/Adoption & Foster Care Leave
- Company Paid Life Insurance
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Voluntary Pet Insurance
- Company Paid Short- & Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Educational Assistance
Johnny's Selected Seeds provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.