The Director of Operations is focused on planning, directing, and coordinating the operations of the fulfillment organization. This includes formulating policies, managing daily operations, and planning the use of materials and human resources. This is a highly visible position, reporting to the Chief Executive Officer and requiring routine interaction with other company executives, including the Board of Directors. The ideal candidate will be a seasoned leader with experience in a high-volume fulfillment/distribution environment. This individual will be passionate about fast-paced industry and building/leading high-functioning teams.
- Direct and manage the operations for order-picking, fulfillment, cycle-counting, shipping, and receiving.
- Accountability for fulfillment performance; identify inefficiencies and drive change to internal processes and cross-functional business units, positively impacting the customer experience.
- Implement strategies to reduce costs and update systems, as consistent with company values.
- Oversee all third-party provider activities through management of the Fulfillment Operations team.
- Ensure inventory accuracy through quality assurance of product flow via "direct to customer" inventory systems.
- Take part in contract negotiation, both internally and externally.
- Drive the drop-ship vendor processes.
- Responsibility for both short and long-term facility planning.
- Accountability for execution of projects that require a high level of cross-functional teamwork and are typically performed under time constraints.
- Responsibility for project definition, resourcing, issue escalation, risk management, and delivery.
- Own and continuously monitor direct and indirect fulfillment costs, with a focus on risks and potential opportunities.
- Define and evolve various operating models to manage large-scale initiatives related to continuous improvement; ensure direction of the initiative remains aligned with leadership expectations.
- Perform managerial duties as required, including but not limited to budget development and execution control.
- Ability to manage and drive a team in keeping with HR best practices.
- Demonstrate well-versed approach to buying and forecasting, with a focus on strong in-stock and zero back-order targets and initiatives.
- Drive a culture of operational excellence with a strong emphasis on accountability, quality, and safety, achieving this by implementing quantitative performance indicators and standards.
- Develop training and evaluation metrics for team members.
- Maintain a work environment that promotes teamwork, communication, and continuous improvement.
- Set goals and lead a team responsible for the delivery of various improvement initiatives from problem definition to implementation completion.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Operations, or related field of study; MBA preferred.
- 5+ years' direct management experience in a manufacturing, production, or distribution environment, with experience in process improvement programs and procedures.
- Seed industry knowledge preferred.
Required Qualifications & Skills
- Proven ability to strategically drive future improvements and influence operations or processes with data.
- Advanced analytical skills and an ability to build fact-based recommendations.
- Working knowledge of budgets and financial statements.
- Transparent leadership skills and independent thinking.
- Ability to interact professionally and effectively through verbal and written communication, in the best interest of the business.
- Highly accountable; must be able to motivate and inspire the business to meet the high standards of compliance to improve customer service.
- Ability to guide, challenge, and recognize employee accomplishments.
- Experience with performance metrics and process improvement techniques.
- Previous exposure to enterprise resource planning (ERP) software systems and/or customer relationship management (CRM) software systems.
- Extensive experience in shipping logistics and vendor contract/cost management.
- Experience in working with, and a strong understanding of shipping carriers such as FedEx, UPS, USPS, Canada Post, and International shipping are required.
- Knowledgeable in seed handling, organic seed handling, and FDA regulatory compliance.
- Advanced Microsoft Office required.
- Ability to sit in front of a computer for up to 7 hours per day.
- Ability to lift and/or carry up to 40 pounds occasionally throughout the work day.
- Ability to bend, crouch, and kneel occasionally.
- Ability to grasp, and to use fine motor skills.
- Health Insurance (HNO, PPO, HSA)
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (Medical & Dependent Care)
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan & Profit Sharing
- Employee Discount
- Maternity/Paternity/Adoption & Foster Care Leave
- Company Paid Life Insurance
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Voluntary Pet Insurance
- Company Paid Short- & Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Educational Assistance
Johnny's Selected Seeds provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Application form located at bottom of this page.
Accepting applications only for jobs posted.