Farm Equipment Mechanic
The Farm Equipment Mechanic is responsible for assisting in the maintenance and timely upkeep of all buildings, facilities, and equipment at Johnny's Selected Seeds-owned and -leased properties, in concert with the Farm Equipment Chief. This position is also focused on working with the Farm Management team to prioritize needed equipment repairs, keep an accurate record and schedule of repairs, and ensure that open communication is maintained. The Farm Equipment Mechanic is also a valuable member of the Albion Safety Team, and will assist with recommendations and improvements toward maintaining a safe work environment. This is a full-time position, reporting to the Farm Manager.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Utilize record keeping and maintenance scheduling records.
- Assemble new equipment as needed.
- Collaborate with Farm Manager to prioritize maintenance needs.
- Build, repair, and modify buildings, infrastructure, furniture, equipment, and supplies to meet maintenance needs at various facilities.
- Recommend in-house and outside repairs and purchases for farm equipment as needed.
- Maintain all equipment in a usable and safe condition and to have all equipment operable a minimum of one month before the anticipated need.
- Design, estimate, and fabricate all requested projects in a cost-effective and efficient method.
- Assist in maintaining and ordering an adequate inventory of commonly used parts and fluids/oils/filters in such a way that frequent trips for purchasing are minimized.
- Assist in managing stocks of often-used equipment accessories, including hitch and lynchpins, tires, tubes, bolts, nuts, washers, nails, tools, welding supplies, building materials, and charged batteries.
- Maintain relationships with vendors, suppliers, and equipment dealers.
- Maintain a clean, well-organized, and presentable shop that is adequately locked and protected.
- Conduct field work as needed and requested, which includes but is not limited to mowing and plowing.
- High school diploma or GED preferred
Qualifications & Skills
- Experience in building, mechanics, and fabrication techniques
- Experience with tractor and equipment operation and maintenance
- Experience in welding, braising, and using torches
- Extensive knowledge and experience in gasoline and diesel engine maintenance and repair
- Ability to project upcoming projects and schedule their completion so as to not interfere with field work
- Computer experience – MS Word and Outlook programs helpful
- Maintenance of vendors/suppliers, with contact information and comments relating to performance
- Communication across multiple levels of an organization
- Efficient time management
- Ability to work alone and with others
- Must possess a valid Maine Driver’s License
- Ability to physically work outdoors, often in less-than-ideal weather conditions
- Ability to freely access all areas of the company, including remote fields
- Ability to bend, pull, and lift up to 50 pounds
- Ability to operate equipment in a safe and efficient manner
- Ability to stand on a concrete floor for multiple hours at a time
- Health Insurance (HMO, PPO, HSA)
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts (Medical & Dependent Care)
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan & Profit Sharing
- Employee Discount
- Maternity/Paternity/Adoption & Foster Care Leave
- Company Paid Life Insurance
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Voluntary Pet Insurance
- Company Paid Short- & Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Educational Assistance
Johnny's Selected Seeds provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Application form located at bottom of job posting page.
Accepting applications only for jobs posted.