The Junior Buyer is an administrative position responsible for procurement of products for both the company's tools and supplies and seed lines. This position negotiates and executes purchases, using procurement best-practices to define the scope of the work, conduct vendor analysis, initiate the bid process, recommend vendor selections, and place purchase orders. This position reports to the Senior Buyer at our Winslow, Maine facility.
- Purchase materials or other goods and/or coordinate activities involved with procuring goods, such as raw and enhanced seed, tools, and supplies.
- Release, post, and track drop-ships. Toubleshoot with Customer Care and vendors to resolve any issues that arise.
- Monitor inventory levels of assigned product-line items and maintain inventory levels to less than 2 years on-hand.
- Determine purchase quantities and develop buy plans and delivery schedules to meet established service levels.
- Maintain purchasing master data in ERP systems; accurate flags and messages on SKUs.
- Maintain vendor records with accurate contact information, terms, costing, conditions of sale, and shipping methods.
- Work cross-functionally in teams and contribute to product status teams, when working with stock outages or delays.
- Work with product managers on securing pricing and availability on new products.
- Bear responsibility for cost control, i.e., negotiate for best pricing and terms with suppliers.
- Provide commercial sales staff with price and availability on products not in current assortment, including expediting product to Johnny's or dropped-shipped locale so it can be sent to the customer on a per-order basis.
- Develop and maintain relationships with international and domestic suppliers to ensure acquisition of products at the most economical cost, continuity of supply, and consistently superior customer service.
- Effectively participate in cross-functional teams to ensure positive impact to overall business operations.
- Work effectively in team environment (involving product management, quality assurance, sales, marketing, and operations) to support overall company goals and ensure highest customer satisfaction.
- Assist in development and implementation of procurement process improvements; proactively gather end-user feedback to identify improvement opportunities within the general procurement process.
- Provide administrative support and backup support for buyers in all procurement activities. Tasks will be both regularly scheduled and on an ad hoc, as-needed basis.
- Additional responsibilities and tasks as required.
Bachelor's degree strongly preferred. High school diploma required.
Qualifications & Skills
- 0–3 years' purchasing experience.
- Computer proficiency a must, including all Microsoft applications.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills required.
- Ability to effectively multitask in a fast-paced, demanding environment is essential.
- Highly motivated team player.
- Agricultural or horticultural experience a plus.
Essential Physical Requirements
- Ability to sit for 8 hours pers day at 3-hour increments in a static position in front of a computer.
- Ability to occasionally lift and/or carry up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to access all areas of the building.
- Ability to occasionally bend, crouch, climb stairs, and reach.
- Ability to read, write, and verbally communicate.
- Health Insurance (HMO, PPO, HSA)
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts (Medical & Dependent Care)
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan & Profit Sharing
- Employee Discount
- Maternity/Paternity/Adoption & Foster Care Leave
- Company Paid Life Insurance
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Voluntary Pet Insurance
- Company Paid Short- & Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Educational Assistance
Johnny's Selected Seeds provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.