The Materials Controller is an administrative position responsible for helping ensure the accuracy in units and value of company seeds, tools, and supplies. This position will monitor the flow and transactions of all inventory items, from receipt into our facilities through shipment to our customers. This position will research and watch for inventory discrepancies to ensure the accurate accounting and reporting with inventory assets.
The Materials Controller accomplishes this by working with members of Johnny's Operations, Finance, and Product Development teams.
This is a full-time position located at the fulfillment center in Winslow, Maine.
- Monitor incoming purchase orders and inventory receipts through daily dock report.
- Work cross-functionally in teams with Fulfillment, Purchasing, and Finance to ensure accurate reporting of inventory values and quantities.
- Liaison with Finance to maintain integrity of inventory counts and values in our financial system.
- Research discrepancies in transaction information.
- Ensure accurate average and lot level seed values based on different units of measure.
- Establish state sales tax codes on new parts, when created, to ensure proper sales tax handling.
- Maintain and update tariff import codes on new and existing parts for import tax categories (HTS).
- Maintain APHIS (Animal Plant Health Inspection Service) tariff numbers required for importing product.
- Partner with cycle-count team lead to validate inventory adjustments.
- Review vendor and seed count conversion files to ensure accurate inventory quantities.
- Facilitate end-of-year inventory audit test counts (working with external auditors as deemed required).
- Maintain offsite inventory records and tracking.
- Perform daily imports and maintenance with part and lot files.
- Maintain purchasing data in ERP systems.
- Provide administrative support and backup support for Buyers in procurement activities.
- Create and maintain Microsoft Access and Warehouse Management System reports for company-wide use.
- Work effectively in a team environment (Product Management, Quality Assurance, Sales, Marketing, and Operations) to support overall company goals and ensure the highest customer satisfaction.
- Assist in the development and implementation of process improvements.
- Record, track, and monitor inbound and outbound supply shipments.
- Bachelor's degree (preferred).
Qualifications & Skills
- 3-5 years' purchasing, finance, or inventory control experience or applicable experience.
- Computer proficiency, including all Microsoft and WMS applications.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills required.
- Ability to effectively multitask in a fast-paced, demanding environment is essential.
- Highly motivated team player with attention to detail.
- Agricultural or horticultural experience a plus.
- Ability to sit for 8 hours pers day at 3-hour increments in a static position in front of a computer.
- Ability to occasionally lift and/or carry up to 50 lb.
- Ability to occasionally bend, crouch, climb stairs, and reach.
- Ability to work onsite or remotely if needed.
- Ability to work with appropriate Covid-19 precautions.
- Health Insurance (HNO, PPO, HSA)
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (Medical & Dependent Care)
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan & Profit Sharing
- Employee Discount
- Maternity/Paternity/Adoption & Foster Care Leave
- Company Paid Life Insurance
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Voluntary Pet Insurance
- Company Paid Short- & Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Educational Assistance
Johnny's Selected Seeds provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.