Operations Associate • Greenhouse
The Operations Associate–Greenhouse position is based at the Albion facility and reports to the Greenhouse Manager. Under general supervision, this position is focused on maintaining the greenhouse materials, including watering, feeding, pruning, propagation, testing, and plant management; operating environmental control equipment; maintaining the greenhouse facilities, including installation, maintenance, and repair of special equipment; and assisting in special projects. This position also supports the Research & Production team in growing and maintenance of variety trials, breeding workshops, and seed production crops at the Albion Research Facility and surrounding contracted fields during the growing season, when needed.
Work schedule includes mandatory weekend hours, assigned holidays, and overtime as needed.
- Assist with planting, transplanting, and crop maintenance of greenhouse seedlings, polytunnel crops, and other greenhouse crops, from initial planting to crop removal.
- Insect, disease, and weed scouting, identification, and management in field and greenhouse.
- Keep greenhouses in clean, presentable condition at all times.
- Assist Greenhouse Manager with assorted daily tasks.
- Conduct general maintenance of greenhouse structures.
- Crop maintenance, including trellising, thinning, pruning, plastic and row cover installation and removal.
- Harvesting of trial plantings, breeding projects, and seed production crops.
- End-of-season clean-up of fields, equipment, and facilities.
- Assist in other functions as needed.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- An agricultural/farming background is preferred, but will train the right applicant.
- Prior greenhouse experience preferred.
Qualifications & Skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to capture detailed recordkeeping.
- Safety consciousness at all times.
- Positive, can-do attitude; self-motivation and initiative.
- Analytical and creative problem solver.
- Creative and energetic approach to innovative ideas and methodologies for greenhouse operations.
- Ability to prioritize, focus, and seek help when necessary.
- Ability to work independently, as well as to build consensus and function as part of a team.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Punctuality and readiness to work.
- Ability to apply or release chemical and biological materials to manage insect, disease, and weed pests; IPM techniques application and release.
- Ability to maintain greenhouse facility, including installation and repair of structures, ventilation, irrigation, and other equipment. (Mechanical aptitude required for this.)
- Valid Maine driver's license.
- An understanding that the work is being carried out at a research facility, with the priority on supporting our internal departments.
- Ability to operate, maintain, and perform repairs to greenhouse machinery and equipment.
- Ability to read, count, and write, to accurately complete all documentation.
- Ability to work varied hours/days as business dictates.
- Ability to work in less than ideal weather conditions.
- Ability to work and navigate on uneven, rocky ground.
- Ability to bend, pull, and lift up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to climb and work with ladders.
- Ability to work in a very hot, humid environment for 8 or more hours per day.
- Health Insurance (HNO, PPO, HSA)
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (Medical & Dependent Care)
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan & Profit Sharing
- Employee Discount
- Maternity/Paternity/Adoption & Foster Care Leave
- Company Paid Life Insurance
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Voluntary Pet Insurance
- Company Paid Short- & Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Educational Assistance
Johnny's Selected Seeds provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.