The Operations Associate–Greenhouse is a full-time position at the Albion facility during the growing season, reporting to the Greenhouse Manager. Under general supervision, this position is focused on maintaining the greenhouse plant materials, including watering, feeding, pruning, propagation, testing, and plant management; operating environmental control equipment; maintaining greenhouse facilities, including installation, maintenance, and repair of special equipment; and assisting in special projects.
Work schedule includes mandatory weekends, assigned holidays, and overtime as needed.
- Assist with planting, transplanting, and crop maintenance of greenhouse seedlings, polytunnel crops, and other greenhouse crops, from initial planting to crop removal.
- Insect, disease, and weed scouting, identification, and management, including the application or release of chemical and biological materials to manage insect, disease, and weed pests; IPM techniques for application and release.
- Keep greenhouses in clean, presentable condition at all times.
- Assist Greenhouse Manager with assorted daily tasks as needed.
- Conduct general maintenance of greenhouse structures, including installation and repair of structures, ventilation, irrigation, and other equipment.
- Design and maintenance of irrigation systems, including replacing drippers, plumbing repair, and cleaning and maintenance of pumps, drains, etc.
- Maintenance of greenhouse equipment, including daily checks for proper equipment function of irrigation, fertilizer injectors, exhaust fans, and other motorized systems.
- Work (during off season) in other assigned areas, such as Shipping, Seed Packing, and/or Contact Center.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
Qualifications & Skills
- An agricultural background is preferred, but will train the right applicant.
- Prior greenhouse experience.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to capture detailed recordkeeping.
- Safety consciousness at all times.
- Positive, can-do attitude; loyalty, self-motivation.
- Analytical and creative problem solver.
- Creative and energetic approach to innovative ideas and methodologies for greenhouse operations.
- Ability to prioritize, focus, and seek help when necessary.
- Ability to work independently, as well as to build consensus and function as part of a team.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Punctuality and readiness to work.
- Ability to apply or release chemical and biological materials to manage insect, disease, and weed pests; IPM techniques application and release.
- Valid Maine driver's license.
- An understanding that the work is being carried out at a research facility, and that the priority is to support our internal departments.
- Ability to operate, maintain, and perform repairs to greenhouse machinery and equipment.
- Ability to read, count, and write, to accurately complete all documentation.
- Ability to work varied hours/days as business dictates.
- Ability to work in less than ideal weather conditions.
- Ability to work and navigate on uneven, rocky ground.
- Ability to bend, pull, and lift up to 50 pounds.
- Health Insurance (HNO, PPO, HSA)
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (Medical & Dependent Care)
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan & Profit Sharing
- Employee Discount
- Maternity/Paternity/Adoption & Foster Care Leave
- Company Paid Life Insurance
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Voluntary Pet Insurance
- Company Paid Short- & Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Educational Assistance