Product & Business Unit Manager • Tools & Supplies
The Product & Business Unit Manager for Tools & Supplies oversees and advances Johnny's Tools and Supplies product line to help our customers become more successful growers. This individual is responsible for bringing to market superior farming tools and supplies and advancing Johnny's current product lines. This involves identifying suppliers with the best-in-class products to bring into our trialing program and product offering; working directly on the design of new farming tools; establishing manufacturing relationships with fabrication shops to ensure a steady supply of tools that meet Johnny's product standards; and leading and managing our Tools & Supplies Product Team. The business unit manager has full P&L responsibility for Johnny's Tools & Supplies business and serves as the internal and external spokesperson for the product line.
- Set annual product sales goals and new-introduction goals, and track the business results of each product group; manage the product cycle from pre-commercialization to commercialization to end-of-life.
- Product line performance — profit and loss.
- Forecast product SKU sales.
- With our planning team effectively manage product inventory at the SKU level.
- Establish, report, and maintain cost, pricing, and profit targets.
- Monitor and report on product line performance metrics.
- Recommend design improvement modifications to existing products.
- Coordinate marketing and brand activities of product lines with our Marketing Team.
- Provide leadership in the discovery of new products and technologies.
- Build and strengthen our network of tools and supplies production cooperators around the world, to source innovative, superior quality products.
- Negotiate with suppliers to develop dealer agreements, exclusive product agreements, cooperative design agreements, and production contracts.
- Specify market requirements for current and future products by evaluating market research, supported by ongoing visits to customers and key industry sources.
- Build the product lines with identified back-up alternatives that can minimize product availability risk.
- Deliver product line concepts and development plans.
- Prepare product information/communication to support Sales & Marketing.
- Work directly with our catalog production team to prepare our annual catalog and website product presentations.
- Develop and maintain a portfolio of superior products that results in the success of our customers and the achievement of our annual business plan goals.
- Evaluate the most cost-effective inbound and outbound shipping methods for products.
- Lead and ensure Johnny's representation at industry trade events, grower conferences, and university education/research.
- 5 years of relative experience as a product manager or business unit manager.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, Industrial Design, or Agriculture preferred.
Qualifications & Skills
- Tools, agricultural, or horticultural experience preferred.
- Current understanding of small commercial grower market and agricultural trends.
- Strong leadership and project management skills.
- U.S. and international travel required.
- Experience in negotiating product contracts.
- Experience with patents, exclusive agreements, and trademarks a plus.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills essential.
- Computer literacy with Microsoft applications.
- Must be able to move, manipulate, and operate farm equipment.
- Ability to sit for prolonged periods of time.
- Ability to bend, pull, and lift (up to 50 pounds occasionally).
- Health Insurance (HNO, PPO, HSA)
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (Medical & Dependent Care)
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan & Profit Sharing
- Employee Discount
- Maternity/Paternity/Adoption & Foster Care Leave
- Company Paid Life Insurance
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Voluntary Pet Insurance
- Company Paid Short- & Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Educational Assistance
Johnny's Selected Seeds provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.