The Product Manager (PM) manages the Johnny's Selected Seeds (JSS) commercial product line offering to the customer. The PM guides and manages the product life cycle, from introducing new varieties to the catalogue, through the active life of a product, to product phase-out. The job involves developing commercial product-line strategies for assigned crops, identifying alternatives for key products, setting annual trial goals for the Product Development (PD) trials, evaluating product performance with the Product Trialing & Plant Breeding Teams, and developing technical support information for the customer. The PM has a cross-functional role and works with departments outside of Research & Development (R&D) to coordinate and align product status with promotions and with the logistics of product delivery to the customer.
- Create and implement a set of product-line strategies for assigned crops for JSS target markets.
- Stay current with the range of commercially available varieties worldwide for assigned crops.
- Develop and manage professional relationships with supply partners and independent breeders from whom JSS can source product.Serve as primary contact (internally and externally) for assigned suppliers.
- Coordinate product-related contract proposals, negotiations, reviews, and execution.
- Work with Product Technicians, Plant Breeders, JSS Staff, supply partners, and customers to set annual trial goals that focus on JSS product-line strategies, address product communications, and that support the mission and business objectives of the company.
- Follow the annual PD variety performance trials at the JSS R&D facility and at select regional cooperator sites to understand the variety performance of the products.
- Manage the New Product Development process, including new product sourcing, variety evaluation, product advancement, initial seed supply forecasting, customer technical support material, and product introduction.
- Build the product files for new products that provide descriptive product specifications and keep Sales, Marketing, and Operations current with active product information.
- Work with interdepartmental teams to support sales forecasting, pricing, procurement, and supply-chain logistics.
- Lead formal internal and external education efforts (field days and training sessions, product presentations, webinars).Serve as a resource for customer-facing staff as well as customers directly, for a wide range of product and market information.
- Build the product lines with identified back-up, alternative varieties that can minimize product availability risk.
- Work with Sales & Marketing on the preparation of the annual catalogue, product list prices, website product pages, and content efforts.
- College degree in an agriculture business related field, or the equivalent experience.
Qualifications & Skills
- Creative thinker with entrepreneurial spirit
- Enjoys puzzles and problem-solving
- Good business acumen
- Regular and effective communicator; public speaking skills desired
- Comfortable making consequential decisions
- Able to work independently and assume leadership roles across many departments when needed
- Comfortable organizing large amounts of information from many different sources
- Comfortable with hands-on activities in the field and in the office
- Brings a positive attitude to the job and enjoys working with a diverse group of people
- Experience in a food and agriculture business and a practical knowledge of farming or food production operations with vegetable crops
- Possesses the people skills necessary to be an effective team player in the company, to interact constructively with professional scientific staff, to collaborate in a multidisciplinary setting, and one who is comfortable establishing and developing partnerships outside of the company
- Familiarity with MS Office Suite, primarily Outlook, Excel, Word, Teams, and PowerPoint, required
- Spend extended time in the research fields, walking on uneven terrain and in all kinds of weather
- Travel as needed, both domestically and internationally
- Sit and work at a computer workstation for long periods of time
- Work varied hours/days as business dictates
- Bend over and lift up to 50 pounds
- Health Insurance (HNO, PPO, HSA)
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (Medical & Dependent Care)
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan & Profit Sharing
- Employee Discount
- Maternity/Paternity/Adoption & Foster Care Leave
- Company Paid Life Insurance
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Voluntary Pet Insurance
- Company Paid Short- & Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Educational Assistance
Johnny's Selected Seeds provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.