Product Technician I • Tools & Supplies
The Product Technician I is the primary technical contact for a defined group of tools and supplies and responsible for evaluating the field performance of various products for the Johnny's Selected Seeds product assortment.
The Product Technician I accomplishes this by working closely with product management to acquire and trial variety and product samples, prepare reports from trials for internal and external use, and answer technical questions about tools and supplies as they arise.
This is a full-time position reporting to the Product & Business Unit Manager.
- Conduct annual performance trials at the JSS R&D facility to effectively evaluate products against JSS product specifications and in line with the JSS mission.
- Receive trial goals from Product Managers.
- Assemble sample request list with direct oversight from Product Managers.
- Maintain accurate records of samples requested and received and store them appropriately for future reference.
- Conduct annual PD performance trials at the JSS facility.
- Communicate with seed Product Managers and Technicians to ensure trials are in-line with seed research efforts.
- Effectively and proactively communicate trial needs to the Farm Team during planning and execution periods.
- Review trials in progress and once evaluated with Product Managers, so they can make product advancement decisions.
- Record and maintain accurate trial data based on evaluation criteria.
- Prepare basic internal and external trial reports.
- Prepare basic trial summaries.
- Participate cross-functionally to integrate the PD trials with ongoing seed variety trials, regional Sales & Marketing activities, and PM initiatives, to support the commercial activities of the company.
- Support Product Managers during their delivery of field forum presentations.
- Attend crop walk presentations as able.
- Attend Product Development Team meetings to ensure advancing products are included in the trialing efforts each year.
- Visit off-site trials as necessary.
- Work with Product Managers to maintain alternate product reference.
- Support annual new product presentations.
- Function as the primary technical contact for Tools & Supplies with JSS staff, customers, vendors, and cooperators.
- Support Sales & Marketing in product promotions by providing basic technical details for specific products, as requested by Product Managers.
- Provide Product Managers with information necessary to complete NPIS entries.
- Review catalog layouts or portions of layouts as needed/requested by Product Manager.
- Maintain working knowledge with the Johnny's Selected Seeds assortment for Tools & Supplies.
- Develop and maintain professional relationships with key supplier companies from whom JSS currently sources product, and attend supplier visits as requested.
- Maintain records to support reporting of departmental metrics.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- BA/BS and/or 5 years of relevant experience.
Qualifications & Skills
- 2+ years applied commercial growing experience, preferably at the same farm.
- Product testing experience a plus.
- Ability to prioritize, self-manage, and seek help when necessary.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Punctuality and readiness to work.
- Ability to travel domstically and internationally, as required.
- Valid Maine driver's license.
- Ability to function as part of a team.
- Capable of physically working outdoors, often in less-than-ideal weather conditions.
- Health Insurance (HNO, PPO, HSA)
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (Medical & Dependent Care)
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan & Profit Sharing
- Employee Discount
- Maternity/Paternity/Adoption & Foster Care Leave
- Company Paid Life Insurance
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Voluntary Pet Insurance
- Company Paid Short- & Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Educational Assistance
Johnny's Selected Seeds provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.