Product Technician I
The Product Technician I is the primary technical contact for a defined group of crops and responsible for evaluating the field performance of variety candidates for Johnny's Selected Seeds' (JSS) product assortment.
The Product Technician I accomplishes this by working closely with product management to acquire and trial variety samples, prepare reports from trials for internal and external use, and answer technical questions about assigned crops as they arise.
This is a full-time position reporting to the Director of Product Selection and Trialing.
- Conduct annual variety performance trials at the JSS R&D facility to effectively evaluate varieties against JSS product specifications and in line with the JSS mission.
- Receive trial goals from Product Managers (PMs).
- Assemble sample request list, with direct oversight from PMs.
- Maintain accurate records of samples requested versus samples received, keep the seed sample inventory tidy (without discarding anything).
- Conduct annual product development (PD) variety performance trials at the JSS facility within established trial design.
- Effectively and proactively communicate trial needs to the farm team during planning and execution periods.
- Review trials in progress and once evaluated with PMs so they can make product advancement decisions.
- Record and maintain accurate trial data based on established evaluation criteria.
- Prepare basic internal and external trial reports.
- Prepare basic trial summaries.
- Participate cross-functionally to integrate the PD trials with Breeding nurseries, regional Sales and Marketing activities, and PM initiatives to support the commercial activities of the company.
- Support PMs during their delivery of Field Forum presentations.
- Attend Crop Walk presentations as able.
- Attend Breeding team meetings to ensure advancing products are included in the trialing efforts each year.
- Visit Production grow-outs.
- Work with PMs to maintain alternate product reference.
- Support annual new product presentations.
- Function as the primary technical contact for assigned crops with JSS staff, customers, vendors and cooperators.
- Support Sales and Marketing teams in product promotions by providing basic technical details for specific products as requested by PMs.
- Provide PMs with information necessary to complete New Product Introduction System (NPIS) entries.
- Review catalog layouts or portions of layouts as needed/requested by PM.
- Maintain working knowledge of JSS assortment for assigned crops.
- Develop and maintain professional relationships with key supplier companies from whom JSS currently sources product and attend supplier visits as requested.
- Maintain records to support reporting of departmental metrics.
- High school diploma or GED required.
- BA/BS preferred, or 5+ years of relevant experience.
Qualifications & Skills
- 2+ years' applied commercial growing experience, preferably at the same farm.
- Commercial variety trialing and/or seed sales representative experience helpful.
- Ability to prioritize, self-manage, and seek help when necessary.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Punctuality and readiness to work.
- Ability to travel domstically and internationally, as required.
- Valid Maine driver's license.
- Ability to function as part of a team.
- Capable of physically working outdoors, often in less-than-ideal weather conditions.
- Health Insurance (HNO, PPO, HSA)
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (Medical & Dependent Care)
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan & Profit Sharing
- Employee Discount
- Maternity/Paternity/Adoption & Foster Care Leave
- Company Paid Life Insurance
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Voluntary Pet Insurance
- Company Paid Short- & Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Educational Assistance
Johnny's Selected Seeds provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable fAederal, state, and local laws.