Research & Breeding Station Operations Manager
The primary function of this position is to manage the Johnny's Selected Seeds (JSS) Field Operations and Farm Facilities. The position is based at the JSS research farm in Albion, Maine and reports to the Director of Farm Research Operations and Breeding. The JSS farming operations is part of a larger integrated Plant Breeding and Product Development team that breeds and trials a large number of vegetable, flower, herbs and fruit varieties and crops. The Albion farm personnel report to this position.
- General administration of the overall JSS farming operations, physical and human resources.
- Lead and manage the farm crew in all aspects of the growing operations at the main trial farm and satellite locations.
- Manage and operate the infrastructure, farm, and the field network of isolations to support all the plant propagation, breeding, product development, and seed production activities.
- Inspect fields to determine crop maturity and condition and detect disease and insect issues. Direct crop operations such as planning, tilling, planting, fertilizing, cultivating, spraying, and harvesting.
- Build a collaborative effort with the Breeding and Product Development teams to grow the breeding nurseries and product development trials to meet breeding and research objectives.
- Maintain farm equipment and farm resources in a professional manner.
- Monitor activities such as irrigation, chemical applications, and harvesting to ensure adherence to safety regulations and industry/company standards.
- Assist in management of the Station Operations budget and forecasting.
- Maintain paper and/or electronic files for crops and seed inventory.
- Support seed production and seed conditioning activities as needed.
- Stay informed of emerging farming practices, growing methods, seed production practices, and tools development to support the mission of the company.
- Promote Johnny's mission and R&D activities through public workshops and forums as needed.
- A college degree in horticulture, agriculture or agronomy, or the equivalent experience and an applied knowledge of farming operations with vegetable crops is required.
Qualifications & Skills
- Prior research farm management required.
- An understanding of various farming practices, plant nutrition requirements, water and soil management, pest and disease control, and farm labor management is required.
- Experience in commercial seed production is desirable.
- A person who possesses the people skills necessary to be an effective team player in the company, to interact constructively with professional scientific staff, and to provide leadership and guidance to farm labor crews.
- Experience working with plant science research people is desirable.
- A creative thinker and researcher with good communication skills.
- A work ethic comfortable with hands-on activities in the field.
- One who brings a positive attitude to the job and enjoys working with a diverse group of people.
- Ability to make decisions with conflicting data and objectives is highly desirable.
- Ability to lead change in an organization and delegate labor and tasks.
- Ability to plan and execute.
- Spend extended time in the research and seed production fields, walking on uneven terrain in seasonal weather.
- Travel as needed, both domestically and internationally.
- Freely access all areas and locations of the business.
- Sit and work at a computer workstation for extended periods of time.
- Bend over/down and lift up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to operate common farm equipment.
- Health Insurance (HNO, PPO, HSA)
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (Medical & Dependent Care)
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan & Profit Sharing
- Employee Discount
- Maternity/Paternity/Adoption & Foster Care Leave
- Company Paid Life Insurance
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Voluntary Pet Insurance
- Company Paid Short- & Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Educational Assistance
Johnny's Selected Seeds provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.