Seasonal Pollination Crew Member
The Pollination Crew members work with the Squash & Pumpkin Breeding Team to accomplish peak field season tasks for our 6-acre winter squash, summer squash, and pumpkin breeding nursery. These tasks include hand-pollinating, weeding, mulching, and performing other crop care as needed.
This position is full-time and temporary, based at the Albion research farm, and part of the Breeding Department. The regular workday begins at 7:00 a.m. and can last up to 8+ hours, depending on weather and given workload. Work weeks can vary but typically average 40 hours/5 days per week. This position starts June 26 and ends August 15. The Pollination Crew works over the weekend; however, there is some potential for a flexible work schedule.
- Hand-pollinating pumpkin and squash plants; i.e., transferring pollen by hand from staminate to pistillate flowers. This is a highly detailed task that requires focus and dexterity, but training will be provided.
- Vine-training squash and pumpkin plants.
- Crop care, including weeding and mulching with straw or hay.
- Other work assigned by Plant Breeding Technicians.
Education / Experience
- All levels of education are welcome to apply.
Qualifications & Skills
- Agricultural experience is preferred but not required; training will be provided.
- Positive attitude.
- Works well with others as well as independently.
- Punctual and dependable.
- Detail-oriented and observant.
- Ability to pair speed with accuracy.
- Legible handwriting is a must.
- Available to work weekend hours.
- Valid Maine driver's license, for travel from office to fields with company vehicle/personal vehicle (with mileage reimbursement provision for employee using their own vehicle).
- Ability to write accurately and legibly.
- Ability to bend, pull, and lift up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to walk on uneven ground and repeatedly bend and crouch.
- Capability to physically work outdoors, often in less-than-ideal weather conditions.
- Ability to work around honeybees and with straw mulch.
- Excellent manual dexterity.
Johnny's Selected Seeds provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.