The Pollination Crew members work with the Squash & Pumpkin Breeding Team to accomplish peak field season tasks for our 6–8-acre winter squash, summer squash, and pumpkin breeding nursery. These tasks include hand pollinating, weeding, mulching, and performing other crop care as needed.
This is a temporary, full-time position, based at the Albion research farm with the Breeding Department. The position starts June 24th and ends August 15th. The regular workday begins at 7:00 am and can last up to 8 or more hours, depending on weather and given workload. Work weeks can vary but typically average 40 hours. The Pollination Crew works over the weekend, but there is some potential for a flexible work schedule.
- Hand pollination of pumpkin and squash, i.e., transferring pollen by hand from male to female flowers. This is a highly detailed task that requires focus and dexterity.
- Vine training.
- Weeding and straw-mulching.
- Other work assigned by Plant Breeding Technician.
Education / Experience
- All levels of education are welcome to apply.
- Agricultural experience is preferred but not required; training will be provided.
Qualifications & Skills
- Punctual and dependable.
- Ability to pair speed with accuracy.
- Works well with others and alone.
- Legible handwriting is a must.
- Flexibility in schedule.
- Physical fitness is important; this job requires much walking and bending.
- Ability to bend, pull, and lift up to 50 pounds.
- Capable of physically working outdoors, often in less-than-ideal weather conditions.
- Ability to work with honey bees and straw mulch.
- Excellent manual dexterity.
- Employee discount
Application form located at bottom of job posting page.
Accepting applications only for jobs posted.