As a Seasonal Research Assistant, during the growing season you will be responsible for overseeing Johnny's excess produce distribution program. During periods when there are no distribution tasks to complete, you will split your time between the trialing and breeding teams, supporting their work as needed/assigned (responsibilities may include assisting with seeding, transplanting, harvesting, data collection, crop care/maintenance, hand pollination work, data entry, preparation for Field Forums and Crop Walks). This is a seasonal position, May–October, at our Albion location.
- Collaborate with trialing and breeding team members to develop a weekly outline of excess produce available from trials and nurseries.
- Harvest and pack excess produce for safe distribution in keeping with current COVID protocols.
- Oversee distribution of excess produce from the farm to all JSS facilities.
- Maintain tidy produce distribution areas.
- Serve as the primary contact for local gleaning groups.
- Maintain records of produce amounts distributed.
- Support trialing and breeding tasks as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
Qualifications & Skills
- Working knowledge of vegetable farm operations, direct experience with a variety of vegetable crops
- Strong attention to detail and ability to follow direction
- Strong organizational skills and flexibility
- Strong communication skills, ability to work with well with a wide range of personalities
- Ability to adapt to changing work situations
- Positive, can-do attitude; self-motivation
- Interest in agricultural research
- Valid Maine driver's license, with a clean driving record
- Ability to read, count, and write, to accurately complete all documentation
- Ability to work varied hours/days as business dictates
- Ability to work in less-than-ideal weather conditions
- Agility to work and navigate on uneven, rocky ground
- Ability to bend, pull, and lift up to 50 pounds
Johnny's Selected Seeds provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.