Seasonal Tomato Crew
The Seasonal Tomato Crew position reports to the Tomato Crew Lead and is focused on supporting the Research and Production team in growing and maintaining our tomato trials, breeding workshops, and seed production crops at the Albion Research Facility and surrounding contracted fields. This position is in our Albion location, runs seasonally from May/June through August/September, and is full time 10-hour days, 4 days/week.
- Assist in tomato crop care, including but not limited to staking, pruning, trellising, and weeding, with a strong commitment to phytosanitary practices.
- Irrigation setup, removal, and operation.
- Weed, insect, and disease control.
- Safe equipment operation and maintenance.
- Harvest trial plantings, breeding projects, and seed production crops.
- Participate in end-of-season tidying of fields, equipment, and facilities.
- Attend all necessary trainings.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education / Experience
- An agricultural background is preferred, but will train the right applicant.
Qualifications & Skills
- Positive, can-do attitude; self-motivated.
- Ability to prioritize, self-manage, and seek help when necessary.
- Ability to work independently, build consensus, and function as part of a team.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Adapt to changing work situations.
- Punctuality and readiness to work.
- Ability to work weekend hours.
- Eagerness to work overtime as needed, often on very short notice.
- Valid Maine driver’s license.
- Ability to read, count, and write, to accurately complete all documentation.
- Ability to work varied hours/days as business dictates.
- Ability to work in less-than-ideal weather conditions
- Agility to work and navigate on uneven, rocky ground.
- Ability to bend, pull, and lift up to 50 pounds.
Johnny's Selected Seeds provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.