Seed Production Manager
Position SummaryThe Seed Production Manager manages strategy and production of seed for Johnny's Selected Seeds. The Seed Production Manager is responsible for the planning and execution of all contract seed productions for exclusive, non-exclusive, and proprietary varieties. The Foundation Seed Manager reports to this role. The Seed Production Manager reports to the Vice President of Research & Development. This position is based at the Albion research farm.
- Develop and manage a production strategy for internal and external seed productions.
- Develop and maintain a worldwide organic and non-organic seed grower network.
- Determine appropriate controls for productions.
- Select and contract seed acreage based upon internal demand and forecasting.
- Negotiate and coordinate grower contracts.
- Manage production of high-quality seed in budgeted quantities for domestic and international markets.
- Manage seed production costs to ensure agreed-upon profit margins.
- Identify and test new production areas to ensure production supply.
- Manage the production budget.
- Ensure field scouting and harvesting meets Johnny's quality standards.
- Monitor and audit production grow-outs to ensure product integrity and quality.
- Assist in managing the purchase order creation and authorization process.
- Visit suppliers and trials to evaluate product field performance.
- Coordinate the delivery of stock seed to support production orders.
- Manage stock seed and foundation seed inventory, quality, and production.
- Maintain and acquire crop phytosanitary certifications.
- Work with Purchasing and Quality to ensure seed delivery meets the production schedule.
- Maintain regular communication with stakeholders regarding the status of productions.
- Set department goals and productivity standards and enhance efficiency.
- Participate and engage in Product team meetings.
A college degree in horticulture, agriculture, or agronomy, or the equivalent experience with an applied knowledge of organic and sustainable farming operations and extensive knowledge of growing a diverse number of vegetable crops is required.
Qualifications & Skills
- Five or more years' knowledge and experience with organic and sustainable farming practices.
- Experience in seed production management.
- Familiar with product lifecycles and product management.
- Proficient in arithmetic.
- Effective problem-solver.
- Exceptional time management.
- Good data analysis skills using Microsoft product suite or similar tools.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Good relationship skills.
- Ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally.
- Ability to communicate efficiently and professionally.
- Ability to function with minimal supervision.
- Proactive, able to prioritize tasks, organized, detail-oriented.
- Capable of sitting for prolonged periods of time.
- Ability to bend, pull, and lift up to 20 lb.
- Health Insurance (HNO, PPO, HSA)
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account (Medical & Dependent Care)
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan & Profit Sharing
- Employee Discount
- Maternity/Paternity/Adoption & Foster Care Leave
- Company Paid Life Insurance
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Voluntary Pet Insurance
- Company Paid Short- & Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Educational Assistance
Johnny's Selected Seeds provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.