The focus of this position is on attaining long- and short-term sales goals in a manner that aligns with Johnny's Selected Seeds' (JSS) overall company goals and mission. This individual is responsible for managing existing commercial growers and for developing new business with additional growers in the territory. Management responsibilities include the full scope of developing and executing an approved sales plan. This involves analyzing and communicating both growers' and competitors' trends, organizing and managing events in the territory, and developing and fostering relationships across all levels within growers' businesses. In addition, the individual in this position is responsible for understanding any restrictions or regulations in the territory and the growers' go-to-market strategies, then developing recommendations to customize programs to secure or increase JSS business with the growers. Finally, this position is responsible for developing presentations and business reviews for key growers as well as reporting back to JSS management.
- SALES PLANNING
- Develop a territory-specific annual sales plan that includes goals, strategies, and tactics aligned with JSS yearly plan and multiyear strategy. Elements of the plan must include:
- Sales forecast
- Customer acquisition
- Customer retention
- Territory budget management
- Expense management
- Day-to-day execution of the territory-specific annual sales plan.
- Work with designated top growers, building relationships and consulting on farming needs to grow sales.
- Prospect new commercial growers.
- Communicate customer interaction in Salesforce.com.
- Work with Finance/Accounts Receivable on customer terms.
- Monitor and report on competition by gathering marketplace information on pricing, products, delivery schedules, shipping fees, merchandising, volume, etc.
- Develop and cultivate relationships with cooperator/vendor representatives in the territory for partnership and to further develop grower relations.
- Work with growers in the territory to:
- Support territory product trials with Product Managers and the Regional Product Development Representative.
- Identify and communicate new product and service opportunities, special developments, information, and feedback.
- Specifically, bring back regional variety favorites for Product Manager review and trial, with a goal of adding to JSS product portfolio.
- Coordinate annual top-to-top meetings/business reviews with the largest key growers in territory.
- Participate in customer-facing webinars and educational events.
- Travel to regional trade shows and conferences and conduct grower visits.
- Monthly volume review for the territory versus prior year, highlighting territory trends and gathering insights.
- Maintain customer data integrity in CRM.
- Build product and grower strategy.
- Submit weekly key grower communication and market takeaways.
- Partner with the territory's Sales Support Specialist, provide training as needed, and delegate tasks defined in the Sales Support Specialist position description.
- Monitor and evaluate the workload of the Sales Support Specialist by regularly meeting with the team (Sales Support Specialist and any other representative they support).
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, participating in professional societies, etc.
- Actively participate in JSS Field Forums and Crop Walks.
- Participate in all JSS company-wide and quarterly meetings.
- Actively participate on cross-functional teams as the Commercial Sales Team representative, bringing the customer perspective and gaining a greater understanding of other functional area roles, responsibilities, opportunities, and challenges.
- Bachelor's degree in horticulture, sustainable agriculture, related science field, or related experience
- Strong relationship builder across the JSS organization and with growers
- Active listener
- Strong sense of urgency, aggressive follow-through, and feeling of ownership for the territories
- Skilled negotiator, problem solver, and closer
- Results-oriented self-starter, with a track record of meeting or exceeding stretch goals
- Exceptional B2B "outside" sales, marketing, and customer-focused experience
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks
- Complete knowledge of the company's product portfolio
- Ability to provide insight through analysis
- Ability to develop and manage a territory spending budget to achieve maximum results and ROI
- Clear and succinct written and oral communication skills
- Seeks, listens to, and comprehends others' opinions and positions
- Ability to interact with diverse personalities and multiple functional areas
- Recognizes teammates' accomplishments and provides constructive criticism in a positive manner
- Ability to engage and motivate customers and prospective customers
- Team player, with the ability to work towards a common goal — gives more than takes
- Trustworthy and respected
- Positive, can-do attitude
- Composed in fast-paced pressure situations/relationships
- Good public presentation skills
- Ability to communicate and coordinate with Sales Support Specialist and extended team
- Proficiency in Microsoft applications for analytical work, communications, and presentations
- Excel: up to and including pivot tables
- PowerPoint: inserting images, charts/graphs, animation
- Word: formatting
- Proficiency in proprietary systems and programs that relate to the sales function
- Experience in advising, training, or counseling commercial vegetable growers in a customer-focused environment
- 3–5 years' experience in the seed/agriculture industry
- Vegetable, herb, or flower growing/farming experience
- Ability to travel to all areas and locations of the territory
- Ability to work varied hours/days as business dictates
- Health Insurance (HMO, PPO, HSA)
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts (Medical & Dependent Care)
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan & Profit Sharing
- Employee Discount
- Maternity/Paternity/Adoption & Foster Care Leave
- Company Paid Life Insurance
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Voluntary Pet Insurance
- Company Paid Short- & Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Educational Assistance
Johnny's Selected Seeds provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.