Seed Production Technician
The Seed Production Technician is responsible for the production and oversight of parental line Foundation Seed for Johnny’s proprietary vegetable and flower seed varieties. The Seed Production Technician coordinates all tasks associated with production of foundation seed from the delivery of breeder seed through foundation seed harvest and quality testing. This position facilitates the transfer of foundation seed to stock seed and collects and documents critical information required for successful commercial seed productions. This position works closely and cross-functionally with Plant Breeding, Seed Production, Quality Assurance and Research Farm Operations to ensure timely and successful productions and quality testing. This position is full-time and based both at Johnny’s Research Farm in Albion, and seasonally in the Quality Assurance Department at the Winslow Fulfillment Center.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Attend and participate in product team meetings for crops bred and selected by Johnny’s Research Team
- Initiate the introduction of parent lines for assignment of part numbers and codes to support new introductions.
- Develop and create an annual production grow out trial plan with the Seed Production and Quality Assurance Managers.
- Develop annual crop plan for on-farm foundation and stock seed productions
- Coordinate and schedule crop production tasks with the Farm Operations Team.
- Provide technical assistance and guidance to Farm Operations to ensure crop and trial success.
- Create and follow a schedule of regular scouting and evaluation of all on-farm seed productions.
- Coordinate evaluations of grow-out trials with stakeholders. Record production lot decisions in research database.
- Record crop specific phenotypic data following established criteria and enter data into research database.
- Schedule and lead USDA field crop inspections on Johnny’s Research Farm and record results in research database.
- Report crop inspection results to the Seed Production Manager, relevant Breeder, and Product Manager.
- Schedule timely seed crop harvests and coordinate processing and conditioning for on-farm productions.
- Prepare and submit samples of Foundation Seed production lots for quality germination and seed borne pathogen testing
- Prepare and submit samples of Foundation Seed and Stock Seed production lots for quality standards to meet export/import specifications to support commercial crop productions
- Prepare annual crop reports for on-farm crops and distribute to relevant breeding and seed production teams.
- Meet seed production volume/quantity targets following Parent Line Delivery process criteria.
- Coordinate the transfer of new seed production lots after final cleaning and quality testing to storage facilities.
- Record and maintain inventory of foundation seed lots in appropriate databases for new productions.
- Establish and maintain a testing schedule for all foundation/stock seed lots to meet required quality standards and testing, including seed for export testing
- Maintain database of parent line descriptions, specific use, and commercial seed production criteria
- Participate in annual production research trials and projects as defined by the Seed Production Team goals
- High school diploma or GED.
- BS degree, preferably in a Biology or Agriculture-related field of study, or equivalent experience
- Certificate of seed production or seed quality course or workshop preferred
Qualifications & Skills
- Experience with/knowledge of general agricultural/horticultural practices and techniques.
- Analytical and creative problem solver.
- Accurate and Observatant
- Good arithemetic skills
- Previous experience with or exposure to Seed Production systems preferred.
- Ability to prioritize daily, weekly, monthly and annual tasks and goals
- Abilty to self-manage, and seek help when necessary.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to build consensus/function as part of multiple teams in the Research and Production Teams.
- High attention to detail, in both hands-on tasks and record keeping
- Experience with Microsoft Excel, Phenome I, and inventory software programs
- Valid Maine driver’s license.
- Capable of physically working outdoors, often in less-than-ideal weather conditions.
- Ability to bend, pull, and lift up to 50 pounds.
- Able to work around bees and other insects
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan & Profit Sharing (dependent upon qualifying according to plan documents
- 401(k) (dependent upon qualifying according to plan documents
- Employee Discount
- Maternity/Paternity/Adoption & Foster Care Leave
- Voluntary Pet Insurance
- Paid Time Off
JOHNNY’S SELECTED SEEDS was established in 1973 by our Founder, Rob Johnston, Jr. Today we are 100% Employee Owned. Johnny’s mission is Helping families, friends, and communities to feed one another by providing superior seeds, tools, information, and service.
Johnny’s is renowned for our exceptional customer service offering seeds, tools, supplies and information to direct-market growers and avid home gardeners. We source, breed, trial, and sell outstanding selected varieties of vegetables, cut flowers, herbs, and farm seed, as well as thoughtfully designed tools and equipment. We take pride in the wealth of information and depth of experience we offer our customer base, nationwide and globally.
We are a strong, stable company focused on growth while still maintaining our small company feel and staying true to our roots. Beautiful Central Maine, where our research farm, warehouse, and offices are located, is the perfect launching point for an active, four-season lifestyle. Geographically situated halfway between Maine’s mountains and it’s 4500-mile-long coastline, we’re a short drive away from resorts, parks, and harbors renowned for a rich diversity of recreational and cultural opportunities.
If you are passionate about good, healthy food and would choose to work for a company with fellow co-owners who are passionate about our mission and values, Johnny’s may be the place for you!
Johnny’s Selected Seeds is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against otherwise qualified applicants on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, ancestry, age, sex, marital status, national origin, disability or handicap, or veteran status.