Planning Tools &
- Seed Quantity Calculator
This tool helps you predetermine the number of seeds or plants you will need for a given amount of space.
- Stationary Caterpillar High Tunnel Worksheet XLS
This spreadsheet will help you determine costs to build a stationary caterpillar high tunnel at a given desired length using materials suggested by Johnny's.
- Stationary Traditional High Tunnel Worksheet XLS
This spreadsheet will help you determine costs to build a stationary traditional high tunnel at a given desired length using materials suggested by Johnny's.
- Moveable Caterpillar High Tunnel Worksheet XLS
This spreadsheet will help you determine costs to build a moveable caterpillar high tunnel at a given desired length using materials suggested by Johnny's.
- Stationary Traditional Gothic Cathedral High Tunnel Worksheet XLS
This spreadsheet will help you determine costs to build a stationary cathedral high tunnel with traditional style coverings.
- Moveable Modular Gothic Cathedral High Tunnel Worksheet XLS
This spreadsheet will help you determine costs to build a modular moveable cathedral high tunnel using materials suggested by Johnny's.
- Seed-Starting Date Calculator
This tool figures the dates when it's safe to plant particular early crops outside, based on the frost-free date that you specify.
- Succession Planting Calculator XLS
This spreadsheet calculator allows you to input the date of your first planting of each crop, then it calculates the dates for later plantings. It also allows you to input your first frost date, counting back the appropriate number of days to determine the last date to plant and still get a crop before frost.
- Target Harvest Date Calculator XLS
Use this tool to coordinate production of one of more crops for harvest by a user-defined target date or otherwise important event. Determine seeding date relative to a specific harvest date.
- Fall-Harvest Planting Calculator XLS
This spreadsheet calculator works backward from your first frost date to determine the date to start seeds for crops that will mature as it gets cold.
- Grower's Library
Johnny's Grower's Library provides an extensive selection of helpful product information files, manuals, charts, planting and growing guides, technical articles, instructional videos, and more. Browse information specific to each of our seed and plant product lines: vegetables, flowers, herbs, and farm seed, as well as tools, supplies, methods, organic certifications, labels, and material safety data sheets.
- Flower Growing Guide PDF
This chart is designed to help you select the best flowers for your situation. Chart includes application, germination time, transplant information, days to harvest, and helpful growing information.
- Herb Growing Guide PDF
This chart will help you plan your herb growing strategy. The chart includes germination time, transplant information, and days to harvest.
- Growing Ideas
New & Recently Revised
- Foliage & Fillers • Farmer–Florists Share Their Favorites
- 3 Easy, Reliable, Productive Cut Flowers • Sunflowers, Rudbeckia & Zinnias
- Year-Round Micro Greens Production Guide • Planning, Sowing, Production, Harvesting & Marketing
- Greenhouse Varieties • How We Trial & Select Varieties for Protected Culture
- Top-15 Tomatoes for High Tunnel & Hoophouse Production • Diseases & Resistances to Look For, Plant Habit & Variety Recommendations
- Asian Greens • 10 Varieties + 5 Easy Recipes to Get You Started
- Greens for All Growers • A 3-Tiered Marketing Approach
Seed Variety Trials at Johnny's
- Why Try Something New
- How to Conduct Your Own Trial
Cover Crop Decision-Making5 Steps for Deciding What to Plant, When & Where
- Culinary Breeding Network Founder Lane Selman Visits Johnny's • Opening the Door Behind the Farm to Connect Consumers with Breeders & Growers
- Johnny's & Unity Food Hub Host 1st Annual Seed-to-Table Variety Tasting
- Janika Eckert Receives 2016 AAS Breeder's Cup • For Classical Plant Breeder at Johnny's, Patience Has Its Reward