- China Aster (Callistephus) | Key Growing Information
- China Aster (Callistephus chinensis) | Growing Instructions | Tech Sheet (PDF)
- Slow Flowers | Celebrating Fifth-Season Regional Design Elements
- Slow Flowers | Building a Better Market Bouquet | Tips & Techniques for Flower Farmers
- Succession-Planting Flowers | Scheduling & Planning, Sowing Frequency, Recordkeeping & Recommendations
China Aster - Key Growing Information
DAYS TO GERMINATION: 10-14 days at 70-72°F (21-22°C)
SOWING: Transplant (recommended) - Sow 1/8" deep into 72-cell flats, or preferred seedling container, 6-8 weeks before planting out. Heat and reduced daylength initiate flowering. Establish plantings early to avoid short stems. Direct seed - Once soil temperature is 65-70°F (18-21°C). Provide support. Row cover or insect netting helps prevent the spread of Aster Yellows Virus by leafhoppers. Pinching not required.
LIGHT PREFERENCE: Sun.
PLANT HEIGHT: Varies depending on variety.
PLANT SPACING: 6-12".
HARDINESS ZONES: Annual.
VASE LIFE: 7-10 days.
HARVEST: Fresh: Outside ray florets begin to open. Place immediately in water. Dried: When blooms are fully open.
SOIL REQUIREMENTS: Fertile, well-drained soil. pH: 5.5-7.5 preferred.
USES: Cut flowers, borders.
SCIENTIFIC NAME: Callistephus chinensis