- Basics of Growing Hoophouse Strawberries, by Lynn Byczinski
- 3 Main Types of Strawberries: Tips for Selecting Which Types to Grow
- Day-Neutral / Everbearing Strawberries | Key Growing Information
- Strawberries | Instructions for Growing from Bare-root Plants | Tech Sheet (PDF)
- Strawberry Planting/Harvesting Program Comparison Chart
- Strawberries | Instructions for Growing from Seed, including Traditional & Alpine Strawberries | Tech Sheet (PDF)
- Summer-Bearing / June-Bearing Strawberries | Key Growing Information
- Strawberries | Instructions for Growing in Hanging Containers from Bare-root Plants | Tech Sheet (PDF)
Strawberry Season Extension
Johnny's Strawberry Planting/Harvesting Program is designed to take the guesswork out of variety selection, allowing you to extend your strawberry harvest throughout the growing season.
The two main types of strawberries are 1) day-neutral, also known as everbearing varieties, which produce fruit midsummer through fall; and 2) summer-fruiting, also known as June-bearing varieties, which produce a single harvest, mostly in June but some of which bear into July. We've broken these out as follows, so you can use the charts to choose varieties by their key distinguishing features and seasonal fruiting/harvesting slots.
- Day-Neutral Varieties
- Early Varieties
- Early to Mid Varieties
- Midseason Varieties
- Mid to Late Varieties
- Late Varieties
Please note that actual ripening times will vary depending upon your latitude/geolocation, microclimate, cultivation practices, and year-to-year climate variation, among other factors.