Sales Support Specialist
The focus of the Sales Support Specialist is on supporting the Territory Sales Team, playing a key role in the overall success of the team while working in direct partnership with one or more internal and/or external Sales Representatives. The Sales Support Specialist develops and fosters relationships with their contacts within the grower's organization; provides backup for Sales Representatives when they are traveling to trade shows, visiting farms, and at other times they are out of the office. The Sales Support Specialist is also responsible for understanding any restrictions and regulations that apply within the territory.
- Sales- and goals-oriented; awareness of monthly, quarterly, and annual volume plans; constantly striving to achieve sales to meet those goals.
- Comfortable making outbound sales calls, both by phone and email.
- Sell and write orders for Johnny's Selected Seeds (JSS) products and services.
- Expedite orders when necessary.
- Review reject orders and take steps to clear.
- Research backorders and follow up with customers.
- Work with Sales and Operations planning for unplanned orders that will consume more than 20% of bulk seed.
- Review orders after each batch (orders sent to Operations for fulfillment) to ensure there are no issues of concern.
- Communicate with Operations on significant pack requests rather than simply waiting for the batch to process.
- Educate our customers about our products and services in order to improve related sales and customer satisfaction.
- Serve as an expert in customer service, with a customer-first approach.
- Assist in contacting new growers who come into the territory via the website or Contact Center, with the objectives of understanding their business and upselling or securing more of their seed requirements.
- Assist in identifying customers in the territories with duplicate customer numbers and in the deduplication process.
- Maintain grower information in the areas of discounts, special pricing, etc.
- Excellent communication skills; effectively communicate with all levels of an organization (by phone, email, and in person).
- Communicate with Sales Representatives regarding time away, ensuring adequate lead time to enable coordinating coverage.
- Check in and check out daily with Sales Representatives, providing a 15-minute alert prior to clocking out for the day.
- Assist Sales Representatives in preparing presentations for industry events, grower visits, and annual top-to-top meetings and business reviews.
- CROSS-FUNCTIONAL RELATIONSHIPS
- Develop and maintain strong, respectful relationships with other functional areas of the company, with specific focus on:
- Contact Center, Customer Care, Data Services
- Operations (Shipping/Seed Packing)
- Supply Planning
- Be known as a strong cross-functional team player.
- PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
- Maintain product and technical knowledge by participating in educational meetings (e.g., Product Advancement), annual pricing review, and annual catalog review, as timing permits.
- Actively participate in JSS Crop Walks.
- Participate in all JSS company-wide and quarterly meetings.
- Actively participate on cross-functional teams as assigned (Product Status Team meetings, special projects, etc.).
- Provide input into performance reviews of assigned Sales Representatives.
- College degree preferred, with concentration in business or agriculture.
Required Skills & Attributes
- Strong relationship builder across the JSS organization and with growers.
- Active listener.
- Sense of urgency, aggressive follow-through, and sense of ownership for the territories.
- Results-oriented self-starter, with a track record of meeting goals and objectives.
- Exceptional B2B outside sales and customer-focused experience.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks.
- Ability to calculate margin.
- Organized and disciplined, with ability to work independently.
- Sees issues and is willing to participate in identifying and implementing solutions.
- Complete knowledge of the company's product portfolio.
- Vegetable, herb, and/or flower growing/farming experience.
- Clear and succinct written and oral communication skills.
- Seeks, listens to, and comprehends others' opinions and positions.
- Ability to interact with multiple personalities and multiple functional areas.
- Ability to engage and motivate customers and prospective customers.
- Team player, with the ability to work towards a common goal — gives more than takes.
- Trustworthy, respected, positive can-do attitude.
- Composed under fast-paced pressure situations/relationships.
- Proficiency in Microsoft applications (Word, Excel, Power Point, and Teams).
- Proficiency in proprietary systems that relate to the sales function (Salesforce).
- Ability to freely access all areas and locations of the business.
- Ability to work varied hours/days as business dictates.
- Ability to sit and/or stand at a computer for at least 80% of the workday.
- Ability to read, count, and write, to accurately complete all documentation.
- Health Insurance (HMO, PPO, HSA)
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts (Medical & Dependent Care)
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan & Profit Sharing
- Employee Discount
- Maternity/Paternity/Adoption & Foster Care Leave
- Company Paid Life Insurance
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Voluntary Pet Insurance
- Company Paid Short- & Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Educational Assistance
Johnny's Selected Seeds provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.