- Snapdragon | Key Growing Information
- Snapdragon Production | Tech Sheet (PDF)
- Video: Snapdragons in Johnny's Overwinter Flowers Tunnel
- 5 Cool Flowers to Plant Now | Lisa Mason Ziegler's Secrets for Growing Hardy, Cool-Season Annuals
- Getting Started in Cut-Flowers | Top 15 Cuts
- Slow Flowers | Celebrating Fifth-Season Regional Design Elements
- Slow Flowers | Building a Better Market Bouquet | Tips & Techniques for Flower Farmers
- Succession-Planting Flowers | Scheduling & Planning, Sowing Frequency, Recordkeeping & Recommendations
- Video: How to Build a Bouquet
- Johnny's Edible Flower Guide | Printable 4-pp Brochure (PDF)
Snapdragon - Key Growing Information
DAYS TO GERMINATION: 7-14 days at 70-75°F (21-24°C)
SOWING: Transplant (recommended) - Surface-sow into open, or 20-row flat or preferred seedling container, 8-10 weeks before last frost. Light is required for germination; cover just enough to hold seeds in place. Transplant into 72-cell plug flats at first true-leaf stage. Harden off and transplant out after danger of frost has passed. Pinching encourages branching. Light is required for germination, but a fine layer of vermiculite covering the seeds can maintain moisture levels and prevent algae growth. Bottom water or mist lightly to avoid covering the seed with displaced soil. Transplant to cell packs or larger containers when the first true leaves appear, approximately 3-4 weeks after sowing. If desired, for a bushier plant that produces more flower-producing side branches, pinch young plants back by half their height when plants have formed 4-6 leaves or are approximately 3-4 inches tall. Pinching will delay the crop time by a few weeks. If pinching, space plants 6-12 inches apart. Direct seeding is not recommended.
LIGHT PREFERENCE: Sun/Part Shade.
PLANT HEIGHT: Varies.
PLANT SPACING: 4-12".
HARDINESS ZONES: Annual.
STEM LENGTH: 12-60". When grown as a one-cut, stems can be as long as the full height of the plants. When grown for multiple cuts per plant, stems vary in length at 12-36".
VASE LIFE: 7-10 days.
STORAGE TEMPERATURE: 32-40°F (0-4°C).
HARVEST: Florets on lower 1/3- 1/2 of the spike are open.
SOIL REQUIREMENTS: Rich, well-drained, moist soil. pH: Neutral soil is preferred.
USES: Cut flower, edible flower.
SCIENTIFIC NAME: Antirrhinum majus