Strawberry Season Extension
Johnny's Strawberry Planting/Harvesting Program is designed to take the guesswork out of variety selection, allowing you to extend your strawberry harvest throughout the growing season.
The two main types of strawberries are 1) day-neutral, also known as everbearing varieties, which produce fruit midsummer through fall; and 2) summer-fruiting, also known as June-bearing varieties, which produce a single harvest, mostly in June but some of which bear into July. We've broken these out as follows, so you can use the charts to choose varieties by their key distinguishing features and seasonal fruiting/harvesting slots.
- Day-Neutral Varieties
- Early Varieties
- Early to Mid Varieties
- Midseason Varieties
- Mid to Late Varieties
- Late Varieties
Please note that actual ripening times will vary depending upon your latitude/geolocation, microclimate, cultivation practices, and year-to-year climate variation, among other factors.
- Johnny's Raspberry Planting/Harvesting Program Charts
- Blueberry Planting/Harvesting Program Charts
- Homegrown Berries: The Berry Grower's Companion Book
- Production of Vegetables, Strawberries & Cut Flowers Using Plasticulture Book
- The Hoophouse Handbook Book