- Johnny's Bean Basics | Learn About Differences Between Types
- Video: How to Grow Bush Beans • From Seed to Harvest
- Lima Bean | Key Growing Information
- Dry Bean | Key Growing Information
- Pole Bean | Key Growing Information
- Bush Beans | Key Growing Information
- French Filet Beans | Key Growing Information
- About Snap, String & Green Beans | What to Look For
- Fava Bean | Key Growing Information
- Soybean | Key Growing Information
- About Dry Beans
- About Pole Beans | 6 Steps to Success: Select Varieties, Plant Seed & Set Up Your Trellis
- Bush Bean Varieties | Comparison Chart (PDF)
- Fresh Shell Beans | Key Growing Information
- Bean FAQs
Fresh Shell Beans - Key Growing Information
SCIENTIFIC NAME: Phaseolus vulgaris
CULTURE: Choose well-drained soil with a pH above 6.0. After the last frost date sow seeds directly into the garden soil about 2" apart, 1" deep, in rows 20–36" apart. Optimum soil temperature for germination is 70–90°F (21–32°C). Plant when daytime soil temperatures average at least 60°F (16°C), or risk poor germination. Inoculants can increase yields. For a continuous supply make successive sowings every 2–3 weeks through midsummer. Do not thin. Dark-colored seeds germinate better in cool soil than white seeds.
DISEASES: Plow under or remove and compost bean straw in the fall to hasten destruction of most disease organisms. For sclerotinia white mold control, plant at wider row spacing to promote drying of plant leaves and soil. Practice a three-year crop rotation, preferably into corn or grain crops. All our fresh shell bean seeds are halo blight-free.
INSECT PESTS: Mexican bean beetles can be controlled with insecticides such as pyrethrin or azadirachtin.
HARVEST: Harvest regularly to encourage new pod set. Ready to pick when beans are plump inside pods.
STORAGE: Store at 40°F (5°C) and 90% relative humidity for 7–10 days.
SEEDING RATE: Italian: 1 lb./150', 10 lb./1,000', 145 lb./acre at 3' between rows. French: 1 lb./300', 5 lb./1,000', 72 lb./acre.
SEED SPECS: SEEDS/LB.: Italian: avg. 850. French: avg. 2,200.
PACKET: Italian and French: 100 seeds, sows 14'.