- Johnny's Bean Basics | Learn About Differences Between Types
- Video: How to Grow Bush Beans • From Seed to Harvest
- Bean FAQs
- 'Jumbo' Bush Bean | Germination & Its Hard Seed Coat
- Lima Bean | Key Growing Information
- Dry Bean | Key Growing Information
- Pole Bean | Key Growing Information
- Bush Beans | Key Growing Information
- French Filet Beans | Key Growing Information
- About Snap, String & Green Beans | What to Look For
- Fava Bean | Key Growing Information
- Soybean | Key Growing Information
- About Dry Beans
- About Pole Beans | 6 Steps to Success: Select Varieties, Plant Seed & Set Up Your Trellis
- Bush Bean Varieties | Comparison Chart (PDF)
- Fresh Shell Beans | Key Growing Information
- Video: High-Value Crops & Varieties for Your Garden • Tutorial with Niki Jabbour
Pole Bean - Key Growing Information
CULTURE: Grow pole beans on trellises, poles, or mesh fencing (such as Hortonova). Sow seeds 1" deep, spaced 3" apart in rows 4' apart after soil temperature exceeds 60°F (16°C). If using poles, plant 4-6 seeds at the base of each pole. Inoculants can increase yields.
DISEASES: Plow under or remove and compost bean straw in the fall to hasten destruction of most disease organisms. For sclerotinia white mold control, plant at wider row spacing to promote drying of plant leaves and soil. Practice a 3-year crop rotation, preferably into corn or grain crops. All our pole bean seeds are Halo-Blight free.
INSECT PESTS: Mexican bean beetles can be controlled with insecticides such as pyrethrin or azadirachtin.
HARVEST: Harvest regularly to encourage new pod set.
STORAGE: Store at 40°F (5°C) and 90% relative humidity for 7–10 days.
AVG. SEEDING RATE: 50 seeds/12' or 10 poles; 250 seeds/60‘ or 50 poles; 500 seeds/120' or 100 poles; 1M/ 250' or 200 poles.
SEED SPECS: SEEDS/LB.: See individual varieties.
PACKET: 50 seeds, sows 12' or 10 poles.