- Common Brassica Pests & Diseases | Johnny's Selected Seeds
- Daikon Radishes | Key Growing Information
- Johnny's Planting & Harvesting Programs
- Winter Growing | Recommended Crops & Varieties
- Radishes | Specialty & Daikon Varieties | Comparison Chart / Planting Program (PDF)
- Radishes | Key Growing Information
- Radish | Specialty & Daikon Varieties | Planting Program Comparison Chart
Daikon Radishes - Key Growing Information
SCIENTIFIC NAME: Raphanus sativus var. longipinnatus
CULTURE: Daikon and Korean radishes require friable, well-drained soils with a pH range of 5.8–6.8. Work soil deeply, in raised beds if possible, for straight roots and ease of harvest. Sow 10 seeds/ft., thinning to 4–6" apart, rows 18" apart. Note planting seasons in variety descriptions to reduce bolting.
HARVEST AND STORAGE: Daikon and Korean radishes are brittle; fork or undermine and lift roots carefully. Cut tops 2" above crowns, wash, and refrigerate. Can be stored at 32°F (0°C) and 95% relative humidity for 6–10 weeks.
AVG. DIRECT SEEDING RATES: 1 oz./260', 3.9 oz./1,000', 5 1/4 lb./acre at 6 seeds/ft. in rows 24" apart, or 7 lb./acre in rows 18" apart.
SIZED SEEDS: All seeds are unsized.
SEED SPECS: SEEDS/LB.: 23,400–51,500 (avg. 38,600).
PACKET: 100 seeds, sows 16–17'.