Your local Cooperative Extension office provides research-based advice on agriculture and horticulture that is specific to your region. The US Cooperative Extension System offices are staffed by experts who can help answer your questions about pest and disease management, growing conditions, sustainable agriculture, farm management, and more. Local educational programs and publications are also offered.
The National Institute of Food and Agriculture (NIFA) of the USDA, administers funding for Cooperative Extension offices, in cooperation with state and county governments and land-grant universities.
The Cooperative Extension System additionally offers programs in a variety of other areas including Family, Youth & Communities; Food, Nutrition & Health; Economics & Community Development; Education; Animal Agriculture; and more.
Each US state and territory has a state office at its land-grant university and a network of local or regional offices. These offices are staffed by one or more experts who can help with research-based information.
- Recordkeeping During the Busy Farming Season • by Taylor Mendell of Footprint Farm & Habit Farming
- Choosing Your Hydroponic Grow Medium • A review of common types • Article
- Hydroponic Seed-Starting for Healthy Hydroponic Seedlings • How to begin, what to monitor & why • Article
- Wedding Wisdom 101 • 10 tips for entering the wedding floral landscape • by Debra Prinzing of SlowFlowers
- Lettuce for Every Grower • How to choose & grow the best types & varieties • Article
- 5 Floriculture Trends, Subtle & Seismic • From color to climate, what's on the hive mind • by Debra Prinzing of SlowFlowers
- New! Johnny's Coloring Book • from your friends on Johnny's Tools Team • Downloadable, printable PDF
- Plant Breeding Stories by Rob Johnston, Jr., Founder of Johnny's Seeds • Introducing 3 new Johnny's-bred varieties • Article
- How to Choose the Best Sunflower Varieties for Your Needs • by Lynn Byczinski, Founder, Growing for Market
- Procona: The all-in-one cut-flower harvest, transport & display system • 4-pp Guide (PDF)
- Johnny's 2020 Grower Profiles
- Manual Leek Planter • Tech Sheet (PDF)
- Sustainable Floral Design • Techniques & mechanics for foam-free floristry • Debra Prinzing Interviews Tobey Nelson
- Sustainable Floral Design at the Slow Flowers Summit • Video with Tobey Nelson
- Greens for All Growers: A 3-tiered marketing approach • Article
- Wheel Hoe Selection Guide • Tech Sheet (PDF)
- Onion Bulb Formation, Daylength & Latitude: Map & key features of long-, intermediate- & short-day onions