- Black Tip & Silver Tip Wheat | Key Growing Information
- Greater Quaking Grass (Briza maxima) | Key Growing Information
- Hare's Tail Grass | Key Growing Information
- Northern Sea Oats | Key Growing Information
- Savannah Grass (Melinis nerviglumis) | Key Growing Information
- Beyond Blossoms | Expanding & Diversifying Your Dried Floral Menu
- How to Air-Dry Cut Flowers | Easy Instructions from Johnny's
- Eragrostis tef | Key Growing Information
- Flower Farmers' Favorite Fillers & Foliage | Recommendations from 3 Farmer-Florists
- 'Frosted Explosion' Ornamental Grass | Key Growing Information
- 'Green Drops' Ornamental Panic Grass | Key Growing Information
- Ornamental Pearl Millet (Pennisetum glaucum) | Key Growing Information
- Feathertop Grass (Pennisetum villosum) | Key Growing Information
- Foxtail Millet (Setaria italica) | Key Growing Information
- Slow Flowers | Celebrating Fifth-Season Regional Design Elements
- Slow Flowers | Building a Better Market Bouquet | Tips & Techniques for Flower Farmers
- Video: How to Build a Bouquet
- Video: Tips & Recommendations for Dried Flowers • Tutorial with Joy Longfellow
- Succession-Planting Flowers | Scheduling & Planning, Sowing Frequency, Recordkeeping & Recommendations
- American Flowers Week: Combining the Art of Floral Design & Couture
- Ornamental Broom & Dry Field Corn | Key Growing Information
- Video: Savannah Grass (Melinus nerviglumis) for Cut-flower Production | from Johnny's Selected Seeds
- Modern Everlastings: Guidance on Dried Botanicals from 4 Far-flung Farmer-Florists
Savannah Grass (aka Ruby Grass) - Key Growing Information
SOWING: Transplant (recommended) - Sow into 72-cell flat or preferred seedling container, 6-8 weeks before planting out. Cover seeds with a thin layer of vermiculite to retain moisture and hold seeds in place. Light aids germination. Transplant out after danger of frost.
LIGHT PREFERENCE: Sun. Tolerant of part shade.
PLANT HEIGHT: 18-24".
PLANT SPACING: 9-12".
HARDINESS ZONES: Zones 9-10.
HARVEST: Fresh cut or dried – Harvest when seed heads have just opened and before pollen shed. Seed heads harvested once they have shed pollen tend to shatter.
SOIL REQUIREMENTS: Average, well-drained soil.
USES: Fresh or dried cut flower. Charming in naturalistic or mixed grass plantings, garden beds, and containers.
SCIENTIFIC NAME: Melinis nerviglumis