- Black Tip & Silver Tip Wheat | Key Growing Information
- Bromus Grass | Key Growing Information
- Northern Sea Oats | Key Growing Information
- Hare's Tail Grass | Key Growing Information
- Beyond Blossoms | Expanding & Diversifying Your Dried Floral Menu
- How to Air-Dry Cut Flowers | Easy Instructions from Johnny's
- Eragrostis tef | Key Growing Information
- Flower Farmers' Favorite Fillers & Foliage | Recommendations from 3 Farmer-Florists
- 'Frosted Explosion' Ornamental Grass | Key Growing Information
- 'Green Drops' Ornamental Panic Grass | Key Growing Information
- Ornamental Pearl Millet (Pennisetum glaucum) | Key Growing Information
- Feathertop Grass (Pennisetum villosum) | Key Growing Information
- Foxtail Millet (Setaria italica) | Key Growing Information
- Slow Flowers | Celebrating Fifth-Season Regional Design Elements
- Slow Flowers | Building a Better Market Bouquet | Tips & Techniques for Flower Farmers
- Video: How to Build a Bouquet
- American Flowers Week: Combining the Art of Floral Design & Couture
- Succession-Planting Flowers | Scheduling & Planning, Sowing Frequency, Recordkeeping & Recommendations
Feathertop Grass (P. villosum) - Key Growing Information
DAYS TO GERMINATION: 10-14 days at 65-70°F (18-21°C)
SOWING: Transplant (recommended) - Sow 5-7 weeks before last frost. Sow 1/8" deep into cell trays or preferred seedling container, 5-7 weeks before last frost. Transplant outside after the last frost. Direct seed - After last frost, only in warm climates with a long growing season. Direct seed - After last frost.
LIGHT PREFERENCE: Sun.
PLANT HEIGHT: 12-24".
PLANT SPACING: 12-18".
HARDINESS ZONES: Zones 9-10.
HARVEST: Fresh cut or dried – Harvest just before seed heads shed pollen and are still light green in color. Seed heads harvested once they have shed pollen tend to shatter.
SOIL REQUIREMENTS: Average to light, porous soil.
USES: Excellent fresh cut flower. May be dried. Charming in naturalistic or mixed grass plantings. Effective planted in masses, tubs, and containers.
SCIENTIFIC NAME: Pennisetum villosum