- Choosing Sunflower Varieties | Single-Stem, Branching, Pollenless or "Regular"?
- Tall Sunflower Varieties | Comparison Chart (PDF)
- Video: ProCut® 'Orange Excel' | Excellent, first-to-market sunflowers + field performance
- Tall Sunflowers | Key Growing Information
- 3 Sunflower Succession Planting-Harvesting Programs for Maximum Quality & Yield
- Single-Stem Sunflower (Helianthus annuus) Production | Tech Sheet (PDF)
- Video: Sunflower Production | Planning, Spacing & Sequencing Tips
- Dwarf Sunflower Varieties | Comparison Chart (PDF)
- Dwarf Sunflowers | Key Growing Information
- Branching Sunflowers | Key Growing Information
- Video: 'Sonja' & 'Soraya' Branching Sunflowers
- Perennial Sunflowers | Key Growing Information
- 3 Easy, Reliable, Productive Cut Flowers: Sunflowers, Zinnias & Rudbeckia
- Cut-Flower Harvesting & Post-Harvest Care | Best Practices from Pros in the Slow Flower Community
- Cut-Flower Kit | Guide for Market Growers (PDF)
- Getting Started in Cut-Flowers | Top 15 Cuts
- Heat & Drought: How Flower Farmers Are Adapting to Changing & Challenging Climatic Conditions
- Just Add Flowers | An Introduction to Companion Planting for Vegetable & Herb Gardeners
- Pricing & Profitability for Flower-Farmers | Pointers from a Diversity of Pros
- Sustainable Farming Methods | A Survey of Flower Farmers' Best Practices
- Slow Flowers | Celebrating Fifth-Season Regional Design Elements
- Succession-Planting Flowers | Scheduling & Planning, Sowing Frequency, Recordkeeping & Recommendations
- Instructions for Growing Sunflower Shoots | Tech Sheet (PDF)
- Johnny's Planting & Harvesting Programs
- Johnny's Edible Flower Guide | Printable 4-pp Brochure (PDF)
- American Flowers Week: Combining the Art of Floral Design & Couture
- Top-10 Flowers for Direct-Seeding | 5 for Cool-Soil Sowing + 5 for Warm-Soil Sowing
- Modern Everlastings: Guidance on Dried Botanicals from 4 Far-flung Farmer-Florists
- How to Air-Dry Cut Flowers | Easy Instructions from Johnny's
Branching Sunflowers - Key Growing Information
DAYS TO GERMINATION: 7-14 days at 70-75°F (21-24°C)
SOWING: Direct seed (recommended) - After last frost, sow ½" deep. Transplant - Sow into 72 to 50-cell flats 2-3 weeks prior to planting out. Plants dislike root disturbance but sowing indoors and then transplanting the first crop outdoors can be a successful way to get first-early sunflowers. Pinching branching varieties is recommended to encourage branching and longer stems. Succession-sow every 2-3 weeks and/or plant multiple varieties for continued harvest.
LIGHT PREFERENCE: Sun.
PLANT HEIGHT: Varies.
PLANT SPACING: 18-24".
HARDINESS ZONES: Annual.
HARVEST: Flowers can be harvested tight, when color first shows, or when almost completely open, depending on your market and preferred use. Dried - Flowers are completely open. Hang or use silica gel.
SOIL REQUIREMENTS: Light, well-drained soil. Excessive nitrogen may cause plants to grow too vigorously with abnormal flower shapes.
USES: Excellent cut flower. Single stem sunflowers can make a beautiful and reliable display in the garden but please note that they will only provide one bloom form each plant.
NOTES: Flower size and stem diameter are controlled by plant spacing, temperature, soil type, and day length. For early and late season production, select varieties that are day-length neutral or are noted as suitable for flowering under short days.