- Choosing Sunflower Varieties | Single-Stem, Branching, Pollenless or "Regular"?
- Tall Sunflower Varieties | Comparison Chart (PDF)
- Video: ProCut® 'Orange Excel' | Excellent, first-to-market sunflowers + field performance
- Tall Sunflowers | Key Growing Information
- 3 Sunflower Succession Planting-Harvesting Programs for Maximum Quality & Yield
- Single-Stem Sunflower (Helianthus annuus) Production | Tech Sheet (PDF)
- Video: Sunflower Production | Planning, Spacing & Sequencing Tips
- Dwarf Sunflower Varieties | Comparison Chart (PDF)
- Dwarf Sunflowers | Key Growing Information
- Branching Sunflowers | Key Growing Information
- Video: 'Sonja' & 'Soraya' Branching Sunflowers
- Perennial Sunflowers | Key Growing Information
- 3 Easy, Reliable, Productive Cut Flowers: Sunflowers, Zinnias & Rudbeckia
- Cut-Flower Harvesting & Post-Harvest Care | Best Practices from Pros in the Slow Flower Community
- Cut-Flower Kit | Guide for Market Growers (PDF)
- Getting Started in Cut-Flowers | Top 15 Cuts
- Heat & Drought: How Flower Farmers Are Adapting to Changing & Challenging Climatic Conditions
- Just Add Flowers | An Introduction to Companion Planting for Vegetable & Herb Gardeners
- Pricing & Profitability for Flower-Farmers | Pointers from a Diversity of Pros
- Sustainable Farming Methods | A Survey of Flower Farmers' Best Practices
- Slow Flowers | Celebrating Fifth-Season Regional Design Elements
- Succession-Planting Flowers | Scheduling & Planning, Sowing Frequency, Recordkeeping & Recommendations
- Instructions for Growing Sunflower Shoots | Tech Sheet (PDF)
- Johnny's Planting & Harvesting Programs
- Johnny's Edible Flower Guide | Printable 4-pp Brochure (PDF)
- American Flowers Week: Combining the Art of Floral Design & Couture
- Top-10 Flowers for Direct-Seeding | 5 for Cool-Soil Sowing + 5 for Warm-Soil Sowing
- Video: Tips & Recommendations for Dried Flowers • Tutorial with Joy Longfellow
- How to Air-Dry Cut Flowers | Easy Instructions from Johnny's
- Jang JP Roller Trial | SUNFLOWER VARIETIES Cross-Reference Chart (XLSX)
- Modern Everlastings: Guidance on Dried Botanicals from 4 Far-flung Farmer-Florists
Dwarf Sunflowers - Key Growing Information
SOWING: Direct seed (recommended) — Sow after last frost in groups of 3-4 seeds, 1/2" deep. Thin to one plant when true leaves appear. Transplant — Sow in final container, placing 1 seed per 6" pot or 3 seeds per gallon container, 3-4 weeks prior to planting out. Dislikes root disturbance. If transplanting to beds, wait for 3-4 true leaves to appear.
GROWING ON: Grow at 70-80°F (21-27°C) during the day and 50-60°F (10-16°C) at night. Warmer temperatures cause stretching; cooler temperatures cause plants to be more dwarf.
LIGHT PREFERENCE: Sun.
SOIL REQUIREMENTS: Light, well-drained soil of low to moderate fertility.
PLANT SPACING: 8-12". Space plants so that leaves do not touch. Crowding promotes taller growth and weaker stems.
HARDINESS ZONES: Annual.
HARVEST: Fresh: Harvest when flowers are just beginning to open. Dried: Flowers are completely open. Hang or use silica gel.
USES: Excellent in containers or for mass plantings.
SCIENTIFIC NAME: Helianthus annus