- Choosing Sunflower Varieties | Single-Stem, Branching, Pollenless or "Regular"?
- Tall Sunflower Varieties | Comparison Chart (PDF)
- Video: ProCut® 'Orange Excel' | Excellent, first-to-market sunflowers + field performance
- Tall Sunflowers | Key Growing Information
- 3 Sunflower Succession Planting-Harvesting Programs for Maximum Quality & Yield
- Single-Stem Sunflower (Helianthus annuus) Production | Tech Sheet (PDF)
- Video: Sunflower Production | Planning, Spacing & Sequencing Tips
- Dwarf Sunflower Varieties | Comparison Chart (PDF)
- Dwarf Sunflowers | Key Growing Information
- Branching Sunflowers | Key Growing Information
- Video: 'Sonja' & 'Soraya' Branching Sunflowers
- Perennial Sunflowers | Key Growing Information
- 3 Easy, Reliable, Productive Cut Flowers: Sunflowers, Zinnias & Rudbeckia
- Cut-Flower Harvesting & Post-Harvest Care | Best Practices from Pros in the Slow Flower Community
- Cut-Flower Kit | Guide for Market Growers (PDF)
- Getting Started in Cut-Flowers | Top 15 Cuts
- Heat & Drought: How Flower Farmers Are Adapting to Changing & Challenging Climatic Conditions
- Just Add Flowers | An Introduction to Companion Planting for Vegetable & Herb Gardeners
- Pricing & Profitability for Flower-Farmers | Pointers from a Diversity of Pros
- Sustainable Farming Methods | A Survey of Flower Farmers' Best Practices
- Slow Flowers | Celebrating Fifth-Season Regional Design Elements
- Succession-Planting Flowers | Scheduling & Planning, Sowing Frequency, Recordkeeping & Recommendations
- Instructions for Growing Sunflower Shoots | Tech Sheet (PDF)
- Johnny's Planting & Harvesting Programs
- Johnny's Edible Flower Guide | Printable 4-pp Brochure (PDF)
- American Flowers Week: Combining the Art of Floral Design & Couture
- Top-10 Flowers for Direct-Seeding | 5 for Cool-Soil Sowing + 5 for Warm-Soil Sowing
- Video: Tips & Recommendations for Dried Flowers • Tutorial with Joy Longfellow
- How to Air-Dry Cut Flowers | Easy Instructions from Johnny's
- Sunflower Growing Tips: Single-Stem vs. Branching
- Jang JP Roller Trial | SUNFLOWER VARIETIES Cross-Reference Chart (XLSX)
- Modern Everlastings: Guidance on Dried Botanicals from 4 Far-flung Farmer-Florists
Perennial Sunflowers - Key Growing Information
SOWING: Transplant: Sow 8-10 weeks before last frost. Transplant into cell packs or individual containers when the first true leaves appear. Harden off and transplant after the last frost. Direct seed: Sow after the last frost when the soil temperature is 70°F (21°C).
LIGHT PREFERENCE: Sun.
SOIL REQUIREMENTS: Almost any soil type.
PLANT SPACING: 18-24". Spreads rapidly and will need to be divided every third year.
HARDINESS ZONES: Zones 3-9.
HARVEST: Fresh: Harvest when 1/4-1/3 of the flowers on a stem are open.
USES: Cut flower. Excellent plant for back of perennial borders. Good for naturalistic gardens and wildflower plantings.
SCIENTIFIC NAME: Helianthus maximiliani