- 10 Ways to Extend Your Season with Protected Cultivation
- QuickHoops Gothic High Tunnel Bender | Construction Manual for Modular Moveable Gothic High Tunnel (PDF)
- QuickHoops Gothic High Tunnel Bender | Construction Manual for Stationary Gothic High Tunnel (PDF)
- QuickHoops Elliptical High Tunnel Bender | Construction Manual for 24'-Wide High Tunnel of Any Desired Length (PDF)
- QuickHoops High Tunnel Bender | Construction Manual for Building a Stationary High Tunnel (PDF)
- QuickHoops Low Tunnel Benders | Instruction Manual (#9377 & #9520) | (PDF)
- Agribon+ AG-19, 30, 50 & 70 Row Cover | Insert (PDF)
- Hitch Mount for QuickHoops Low Tunnel Benders | Instruction Manual (PDF)
- Bobcat Automatic Ventilation Kit Manual (#6791) | Tech Sheet (PDF)
- Bobcat Basic High Tunnel Kit Manual (#6923) | Tech Sheet (PDF)
- Bobcat Basic High Tunnel Kit (#6923) | Parts List (PDF)
- Bobcat Pro High Tunnel Kit Manual (#6794) | Tech Sheet (PDF)
- Bobcat Pro High Tunnel Kit (#6794) | Parts List (PDF)
- Bobcat Sliding Door Kit Manual (#6792) | Tech Sheet (PDF)
- Bobcat Standard High Tunnel Kit Manual (#6795) | Tech Sheet (PDF)
- Bobcat Standard High Tunnel Kit (#6795) | Parts List (PDF)
- Bobcat Steel End Wall Kit Manual (#6793) | Tech Sheet (PDF)
- Truss Support Kit Manual (#6790) | Tech Sheet (PDF)
- Bobcat Tunnel Kits | Comparison Chart
- Beginning & Intermediate Controlled Environment Agriculture (CEA) | Advances in Greenhouse Crop Production
- 5 Cool Flowers to Plant Now | Lisa Mason Ziegler's Secrets for Growing Hardy, Cool-Season Annuals
- Hoop Loops | Installation Instructions | Tech Sheet (PDF)
- Intro to Overwintering Flowers | Method & Recommendations from Johnny's Overwinter Flower Trials
- Overwintering Perennial Herbs
- Protect Your Crops | High & Low Tunnel Basics
- The Effect of Shorter Daylength on Winter Production
- Be First & Last to Market by Extending Your Growing Season
- Planning for Opening Day at the Farmers' Market or for Wholesale Accounts
- Quick Hoops Low Tunnels | Set-up & Management with Eliot Coleman
- Constructing the Modular Moveable Gothic Tunnel – Animated Schematic
- Moving the Modular Moveable Gothic Tunnel – Slideshow
- Skinning the Modular Moveable Gothic High Tunnel – Slideshow
- Overwinter Flower Trials | Multiyear Results for >25 Crops | Johnny's Selected Seeds | XLSX
- Seeding Date Calculator | Johnny's Recommended Flowers for Overwintering | XLSX
- Overwintering Onions from Seed | Johnny's Selected Seeds
- Overwintering Crops | Planting Chart for Earliest Spring Vegetable Harvest
- Pest & Disease Control Basics in Greenhouse, Hydroponic & Other Protected-Culture Systems
- Pests & Diseases of Greenhouses & Hydroponic Systems | Tech Sheet (PDF)
- Why Grow in a Greenhouse? Basics & Advantages of Protected Culture
- Recommended Varieties from Our Greenhouse Trials | What We Look for in Greenhouse Crops
- QuickHoops 3'W x 4.5'H Low Tunnel Bender (#7616) | Instruction Manual (PDF)
- Cable Purlin Trellis for QuickHoops High Tunnels | Installation Manual (PDF)
- QuickHoops Moveable High Tunnel Bender | Instruction Manual (PDF)
- QuickHoops Seedling & Microgreens Bench | Construction Guide (PDF)
- Row Cover & Insect Netting Options & Uses | Comparison Chart (PDF)
- Tufflite IV Greenhouse Film | Comparison Chart (PDF)
- Univent Automatic Opener for BiFold Doors | Instruction Manual (PDF)
- Video: Johnny's Season Extension & Overwintering Trials
- Video: Planning & Planting the Autumn Vegetable Garden | Tips & Recommendations with Niki Jabbour
- Video: Growing Under Cover with Niki Jabbour | Johnny's Webinar Series
- Video: Cover Cropping for Field & Garden with Collin Thompson | Johnny's Webinar Series
- Video: Tips & Crop Recommendations for the Autumn and Winter Cold Frame • Tutorial with Niki Jabbour
- Video: DIY Cold Frame • Easy How-to Tutorial with Niki Jabbour
- Video: How to Use Quick Hoops™ Benders to Create High & Low Tunnels
- Video: The Benefits of Row Covers | Recommendations & Tips from Johnny's Selected Seeds
- Video: Hoop Houses & Other Ways to Extend Your Growing Season
- Video: Take a Tour with Us of Johnny's Greenhouses!
- Growing Under Cover with Niki Jabbour & Johnny's | Johnny's Educational Webinar Resources
- Johnny's Winter Growing Guide | Printable Brochure (PDF)
- Winter Production in the High Tunnel | Johnny's Winter Growing Guide
- Winter Growing Guide | Introduction & Part 1: Scheduling Your Winter-Harvest High Tunnel
- Winter Growing Guide | Protection Methods for Overwintering in Low Tunnels
- Winter Growing Guide | Scheduling Guidelines for Overwintered Crops
- Winter Growing | Recommended Crops & Varieties
- Winter-Harvest Crops | Planting Chart for a Seamless Winter Harvest
- Bobcat High Tunnel Kits | Sell Sheet (PDF)
- Video: Irrigation Considerations for the Overwinter Flowers Tunnel | Johnny's Selected Seeds
Video: Tips & Crop Recommendations for the Autumn and Winter Cold Frame • Tutorial with Niki Jabbour
Four-season gardener, author, and educator Niki Jabbour covers the basics, providing tips and crop recommendations for the fall and winter cold frame.
Hi, I'm Nikki Jabbour. A cold frame is a handy structure to have in a garden, as it allows you to extend the harvest of cool- and cold-season crops in late autumn and even winter!
I harvest many types of vegetables during the cold season, including scallions, salad greens, and root vegetables. And while we eat these crops beyond the traditional growing season, the seeds or seedlings are planted from mid summer to early autumn, depending on the vegetable.
Here I've got Salanova® lettuces, which form dense heads of tender leaves, and Kalebration Kale Mix, a blend of eye-catching green and red varieties, perfect for baby greens.
Greens like these are very quick to grow. Check your seed packets for specific days-to-maturity information
You can direct-sow seeds, or give them a head-start indoors under grow lights. Once the seedlings are 3–4 weeks old, they're hardened off and transplanted into the cold frame.
Other great options for an autumn or winter cold frame include arugula, mâche, and Asian greens like 'Amara' mustard and 'Red Kingdom' mizuna.
Once the seeds are planted, it's important to pay attention to soil moisture. Aim to keep the soil lightly moist, to promote healthy plant growth.
You'll also need to ventilate the cold frame on mild days, by opening up the top to release any buildup of warm air. I prop open the tops of my cold frames anytime the daytime temperature is above 40°F or 4°C. If it's going to be a very warm day, I'll completely open the frame, closing it up again later in the afternoon or early evening.
Once the plants have reached the right size, you can harvest by picking individual leaves and allowing the plant to continue growing for future harvests. Or, you can cut the entire head.