- Fast-Growing Microgreen Flowers, Herbs & Vegetables | Comparison Chart (PDF)
- Video: Mild Micro Mix | Exclusively from Johnny's
- Microgreens Yield Data Trial | Table of RAW DATA (XLSX)
- Microgreens Yield Data Trial | Table of Averages for Each Variety | Tech Sheet (PDF)
- Costs & Materials Calculator | Microgreens & Seedling Bench for High Tunnel Installation
- Slow-Growing Microgreen Flowers, Herbs & Vegetables | Comparison Chart (PDF)
- Growing Microgreens Year-Round for Profit | Johnny's Selected Seeds
- Microgreens | Key Growing Information
- Video: 'Confetti Radish' Micro Mix | Exclusively from Johnny's
- Microgreens Production | Tech Sheet (PDF)
- New Greens & Salad & Micro Mixes | 2-pp Insert (PDF)
- Video: Microgreens Production & ROI, with Thomas Macy
- 12 Best Microgreens for Beginner Growers | Easy Choices to Get You Started from Johnny's Research Team
- Deluxe Microgreens Starter Kit Instructions | Tech Sheet (PDF)
- Basic Microgreens Starter Kit Instructions | Tech Sheet (PDF)
- Video: 'Rainbow Sprinkles' MicroMix | Exclusively from Johnny's
- Salad Mixes & Microgreens Mixes | 2-pp Spec Sheet (PDF)
- Johnny's Microgreens | Comparison Chart of Flower, Herb & Vegetable, Fast- & Slow-Growing Varieties | 2-pp Brochure Insert (PDF)
- Microgreens Brochure | An Overview of Growing, Harvesting & Marketing Basics | Printable 4-pp PDF
- Microgreens Yield Data Trial | Summary, Materials & Methods, Findings & Discussion
12 Easy Choices: Best Microgreens for the Beginning Grower
- Microgreens can be grown from many different types of seeds, including herbs and flowers, as well as vegetables.
- A good way to learn as you grow is to start by focusing on one easy crop type, one of our curated microgreen mixes, or one or two easy varieties.
- If growing single, separate varieties to harvest the same day, be sure to compare their growth rates using our Fast-Growing Microgreens Chart and Slow-Growing Microgreens Chart, to time your sowings accordingly.
Top Picks for Getting Started
Microgreens are a super-quick crop that can be grown year-round. They are also relatively easy to grow, but they are not entirely foolproof. For beginners, some are more dependable than others.
Out of the dozens of different microgreen selections we offer, we chose these 3 easy crop types, 4 easy mixes, and 5 easy varieties as our top 12 recommendations for those new to microgreens. All of them germinate and grow quickly for reliable performance every time.
Whether you're looking to add diversity and profitability to your operation or simply to give them a try, here are the best 12 microgreen choices for getting off to a successful start.
3 EASY MICRO CROPS
4 EASY MICRO MIXES
If you're ready to get started but prefer to keep things simple, premixed microgreens blends are a good way to go.
Micro mix can consist of many different kinds of vegetables — amaranth, arugula, beets, broccoli, cabbage, kale, mizuna, mustards, pac choi, radishes, to list a few — as well as tender herbs such as basil, fennel, and cutting celery.
We put careful selection and trialing into the development of our premixed blends so they reliably provide the advantages of uniform, compatible growth rates, a range of textures and colors, and well-balanced flavors.
We provide both conventional and certified-organic seed options for three of these four micro mixes.
You can offer one or more of these mixes individually or, alternatively, combine one or more post harvest — the mild product with the spicy one, for example.
5 EASY MICRO VARIETIES
If you're feeling adventuresome, you could start off by growing one or more of the following 5 easy varieties.
We've selected these varieties because, in our experience, they all reliably produce dense, uniform stands that are easy to harvest. Together, they also offer a pleasing diversity of flavors, from mild to spicy, and an attractive range of colors, shapes, and textures.
This article covers just one easy dozen out of many more microgreens that can be grown year-round. Once your program is up and running and you've mastered these easy varieties, you may want to step it up a level. The next step on your learning curve could be our 'Rainbow Sprinkles' Beets & Chard Mix. Or, if you feel ready, start diversifying; we encourage you to experiment and, over time, develop your own signature mix.