OVERWINTERING PLANTING CHART
Calculate Planting Dates to Overwinter Crops for Spring Harvest
Use our Overwintering Planting Chart as a guide to time plantings of crops for overwintering and harvesting as early as possible in the spring.
How to Use This Chart
- The date of planting for each crop listed in the chart is given by the number of weeks before the beginning of the Persephone Period, ie, the last 10-hour day.
- Your planting dates need to be back-scheduled by that number of weeks from the last 10-hour day at your latitude. To identify this exact date for your location, use an app or website such as Rise or SunriseSunset.
- The crops are grouped, as outlined in the KEY, to reflect their reliability for overwintering success, from relatively easy to more challenging, as gauged by experienced high-latitude four-season growers.
- Click on the crop names to browse specific varieties we have trialed and selected for winter-harvest success.
- Intro to Winter Growing
- Winter High Tunnel Scheduling Guidelines
- Planting Chart for
- Winter Production in the High Tunnel
- Overwintering Scheduling Guidelines
Planting Chart for
- Protection Methods for Overwintering in Low Tunnels
- Focus on Crops & Varieties for Winter Growing
- Overwintering Onions from Seed
|Planting Dates for Overwintering for Spring Harvest|
|Wild Arugula (Full/Baby)||✔||9||8|
|Salad Arugula (Full/Baby)||✔||6||5|
|Bunching Onions (Spring Onions/Scallions)||✔||12||11|
||Use our Overwintering Planting Chart to time your plantings for earliest spring harvest. Keep in mind that the planting dates are back-scheduled from the last 10-hour day at your latitude. The number of weeks before the Persephone Period is calculated for each listed crop. The crops are grouped, as outlined here in the Key, to reflect their reliability for winter production. Click on the crop names to view varieties selected for winter harvest success.|
|TIER 1||Most Reliably Successful: Spinach, Kale, Claytonia|
|TIER 2||Second Most Dependable: Arugula|
|TIER 3||More Challenging: Carrots|
|PLANTING TIME||1–14 = Number of weeks to seed prior to last 10-hour day|