- Diversified Broccoli: 4 Unique Types | Recommendations for Success with an Important (but Sensitive) Crop
- Standard Broccoli | Key Growing Information
- Mini & Sprouting Broccoli | Key Growing Information
- Early-Sprouting Broccoli (aka Summer-Sprouting Broccoli) | Tech Sheet (PDF)
- Broccoli | Standard Heading Varieties | Comparison Chart / Planting Program (PDF)
- Video: 'Happy Rich' Mini Broccoli
- Broccoli | Standard Heading Varieties | Planting Program Comparison Chart
- Leaf Broccoli | Key Growing Information
- Johnny's Planting & Harvesting Programs
- Mini Broccoli & Sprouting Broccoli Varieties | Comparison Chart | PDF
- Broccoli Raab | Key Growing Information
- Common Brassica Pests & Diseases | Johnny's Selected Seeds
- Late-Sprouting Broccoli (aka Winter-Sprouting or Purple-Sprouting Broccoli) | Tech Sheet (PDF)
- Mini & Sprouting Broccoli Varieties | Planting Program Comparison Chart
- Success with Brassicas | Advice on Timing, Temperature, Fertility & Watering
Broccoli Raab - Key Growing Information
SCIENTIFIC NAME: Brassica rapa var. ruvo
CULTURE: Hardy to light frost. Prefers soil with a pH of 6.0–7.5. Direct seed (recommended): Sow 1–2" apart, ¼–½" deep, in rows 18–24" apart. Thin to 4–6" apart. Transplant: From early spring to late summer, sow 2–3 seeds per cell (thinning to one) in 72-cell plug trays 3–4 weeks before transplanting to the garden. If possible keep soil temperatures over 75°F/24°C until germination, then reduce air temp. to about 60°F/16°C to grow seedlings. Ensure good air circulation and light. Transplant outdoors 6–12" apart.
DISEASES AND PESTS: The best insect pest control on young plants is the use of fabric row covers, which prevents the insects' access to the plants. Control flea beetles with azadirachtin or pyrethrin, cabbage worms with B.t. Prevent disease with crop rotation and good sanitation. See catalog for further information.
HARVEST: Keep young leaves, stems, and flower buds picked for a continuous harvest over 2–4 weeks.
SEED SPECS: Seeds/oz.: Avg. 15,450). Avg. Direct Seeding Rate: 1 oz./1,000', 1M/166', 5M/830', 175M/acre @ 6 seeds/ft., rows 18" apart. Packet: 250 seeds, sows 20'.