- Cosmos | Key Growing Information
- Cosmos Flowers Production Guide | Tech Sheet (PDF)
- Video: 'Afternoon White' Cosmos | from Johnny's Selected Seeds
- Video: Cosmos sulphureus 'Bright Lights' from Johnny's Selected Seeds
- Video: Cosmos 'Apricotta' | from Johnny's Selected Seeds
- Cut-Flower Kit | Guide for Market Growers (PDF)
- Getting Started in Cut-Flowers | Top 15 Cuts
- Sustainable Farming Methods | A Survey of Flower Farmers' Best Practices
- Pricing & Profitability for Flower-Farmers | Pointers from a Diversity of Pros
- Just Add Flowers | An Introduction to Companion Planting for Vegetable & Herb Gardeners
- Slow Flowers | Celebrating Fifth-Season Regional Design Elements
- Succession-Planting Flowers | Scheduling & Planning, Sowing Frequency, Recordkeeping & Recommendations
- Top-10 Flowers for Direct-Seeding | 5 for Cool-Soil Sowing + 5 for Warm-Soil Sowing
Cosmos - Key Growing Information
DAYS TO GERMINATION: 7-10 days at 68-72°F (20-22°C)
SOWING: Transplant - Sow into 50-cell plug flats, or preferred seedling container, 5-7 weeks before last frost, covering seeds lightly. Harden off and transplant outdoors after last frost. Direct seed - Sow after last frost, once soil temperature is above 60°F (16°C), covering seeds lightly. Pinching encourages branching.
LIGHT PREFERENCE: Sun.
PLANT HEIGHT: Varies. Tall varieties may benefit from some wind protection, such as Hortonova, used as horizontal support.
PLANT SPACING: 9-12". Wider spacing creates stronger, thicker stems.
HARDINESS ZONES: Annual.
HARVEST: Petals just opening, but not yet flattened. Deadheading is required to have blooms all summer.
SOIL REQUIREMENTS: Any soil.
USES: Excellent cut flowers. Beds, containers, and mass plantings.
SCIENTIFIC NAME: Cosmos spp.