- 3 Easy, Reliable, Productive Cut Flowers: Sunflowers, Zinnias & Rudbeckia
- 5 Factors That Determine Vase Life of Cut Flowers
- American Flowers Week: Combining the Art of Floral Design & Couture
- Celebrate the 7th American Flowers Week | Johnny's 2021 Botanical Couture
- Celebrating the 8th American Flowers Week | Johnny's 2022 Botanical Couture
- Collective Selling Models for Flower Farmers: Flower Hubs That Work
- 5 Cool Flowers to Plant Now | Lisa Mason Ziegler's Secrets for Growing Hardy, Cool-Season Annuals
- Cut-Flower Harvesting & Post-Harvest Care | Best Practices from Pros in the Slow Flower Community
- Cut-Flower Kit | Guide for Market Growers (PDF)
- Easy Cut-Flower Garden Map | For Growers New to Flowers (PDF)
- Easy Cut-Flower Garden Planner | For Growers New to Flowers (PDF)
- From Color to Climate: 5 Floricultural Trends Subtle & Seismic
- Flower Culture by Crop | Comparison Chart | Days to Germination, Weeks to Transplant, Days to Harvest (PDF)
- Flower Farmers' Favorite Fillers & Foliage | Recommendations from 3 Farmer-Florists
- Getting Started in Cut-Flowers | Top 15 Cuts
- Heat & Drought: How Flower Farmers Are Adapting to Changing & Challenging Climatic Conditions
- Intro to Overwintering Flowers | Method & Recommendations from Johnny's Overwinter Flower Trials
- An Introduction to Producer Marketing Cooperatives | M Lund & Associates
- How Day Length Affects Cut-Flower Production
- Flower Power for Roadside Markets
- Growing Flowers in Hoophouses & High Tunnels: Some Cool-Weather & Hot-Weather Options
- Tips for Starting a U-Pick Flower Operation
- Year-Round Flower Production Strategy
- Overwinter Flower Trials | Multiyear Results for >25 Crops | Johnny's Selected Seeds | XLSX
- Seeding Date Calculator | Johnny's Recommended Flowers for Overwintering | XLSX
- Just Add Flowers | An Introduction to Companion Planting for Vegetable & Herb Gardeners
- Pricing & Profitability for Flower-Farmers | Pointers from a Diversity of Pros
- Slow Flowers Palette & Petal Crushes | Evolving Colors & Shape-Shifts in Floral Industry Trends
- Slow Flowers & Johnny's Partner Up | Johnny's Selected Seeds
- Slow Flowers | Celebrating Fifth-Season Regional Design Elements
- Slow Flowers Floral Forecast | A Summary of Industry Insights & Trends
- Slow Flowers | Building a Better Market Bouquet | Tips & Techniques for Flower Farmers
- Slow Flowers | Tips for Staging On-Farm Floral Workshops | Johnny's Selected Seeds
- Wedding Wisdom 101 | 10 Beginner Tips for Entering the Wedding Floral Landscape
- Succession-Planting Flowers | Scheduling & Planning, Sowing Frequency, Recordkeeping & Recommendations
- Succession-Planting Interval Chart for Flowers
- Sustainable Floral Design | Techniques & Mechanics for Foam-Free Floristry | Tobey Nelson & Debra Prinzing
- Video: Mason Jar Bouquet Tutorial
- Video: How to Build a Bouquet
- Video: Tobey Nelson | Sustainable Floral Design | Slow Flowers Summit
- Video: Economic Considerations in Overwintering Cut Flowers | Johnny's Selected Seeds
- Climate Adaptation for Vegetable & Flower Farmers | Johnny's Educational Webinar Resources
- Video: Irrigation Considerations for the Overwinter Flowers Tunnel | Johnny's Selected Seeds
- Video: Johnny's Overwinter Flowers Trial Recap
- Video: Johnny's Overwinter Flowers Tunnel: Trellising, Supports, Ground Cover & Spacing
- Video: Producer Cooperatives for Small-Scale Farmers | Johnny's Webinar Series
- Video: Floating Row Cover | Baby "Cool Flower" Protection from Whipping Winter Winds
- Video: The Procona System for All-in-one Flower Harvest, Transport & Display
- Floral Stem Cutter | Instructions for Mounting, Use & Care | Tech Sheet (PDF)
American Flowers Week, now in its 5th year, is the advocacy, education and outreach campaign created by American flowers advocate and journalist Debra Prinzing.
"Of course, like everyone in the Slow Flowers Movement, I believe that we should be celebrating American-grown flowers during all 52 weeks of the year," Debra states. "But by choosing to devote one full week to an awareness campaign, I believe we can heighten the attention on this cause — both in the media and in the public."
We join Debra in encouraging everyone involved in flower farming and floral design with America's flowers to use the #americanflowersweek hashtag to celebrate the campaign.
In view of the expansion of the American Flowers Botanical Couture Collection each passing year, Debra notes, "When flowers are seen as fashion, they ignite the imagination and stimulate new awareness of domestic floral agriculture and the art of floral design."
This year Johnny's Flower Team had the pleasure of partnering with floral designer Rayne Grace Hoke of Flora's Muse, to create botanical couture marking the 5th annual American Flowers Week (June 28 – July 5).
Rayne met up with the team early one chilly morning last fall, to gather several barrowsful of fresh flowers, foliages, and herbs from the farm's trialing fields and meadows. In a race against time, they stitched the materials together to fashion a gown before day's end.
Beauty being a fleeting thing, Johnny's photographers held their Nikons at the ready to capture the full, lush loveliness of the creation, before the light — and the gown's ephemeral beauty — could fade.
As one of a set of "9 fashionable floral looks" from across the US, the creation appeared in the June 2019 issue of Florists' Review in a feature titled "Red, White & Bloom."
In regard to her design approach, Rayne explains:
"I hope my love for the stunning beauty of Maine comes through, as well as love for what I do as an artist."
— Kristen Earley, Johnny's Photographer
DESIGN ASSISTANT: Hillary Alger, Product Manager for Herbs and Flowers, Johnny’s Selected Seeds
FLOWERS & FOLIAGE: Johnny's Selected Seeds, Winslow, Maine
MODEL, HAIR & MAKEUP: Mary Yarumian, @marybebythesea
PHOTOGRAPHY: Kristen Earley, Johnny's Selected Seeds & Chris Pinchbeck, pinchbeckphoto.com